This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First time SSD install

#1fatboy44Posted 10/29/2013 10:06:46 AM
I'm about to install and SSD and put on a copy of Win7 for the first time (unfortunately not in my own rig). Is there anything I should be aware of for configuring the SSD in BIOS for use, during Windows install, and any settings I should change once Windows is installed?
#2Erik212Posted 10/29/2013 10:13:02 AM
This might be useful:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#3fatboy44(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 10:21:05 AM
Thanks, great link. It is a bit more time-consuming than I thought it would be. Note that I am just trying to get a buddy's computer up and running with an SSD. Are the pre/post optimization tricks necessary or just make it run smoothly and decrease used space?
#4lost_withinPosted 10/29/2013 10:23:06 AM
fatboy44 posted...
I'm about to install and SSD and put on a copy of Win7 for the first time (unfortunately not in my own rig). Is there anything I should be aware of for configuring the SSD in BIOS for use, during Windows install, and any settings I should change once Windows is installed?

Here is my list of things I like to do after installing an SSD:

After Cloning/installing
1. Wipe Your Original Drive
2. Move Your User Folders (my documents, my pictures, etc.) to your original HD
3. re-run the Windows Experience Index
4. Disable Superfetch and Prefetch
5. Disable indexing
6. Disable System Restore
7. Disable Hibernation
8. Disable Write Caching
9. Ensure your SATA ports are configured to use AHCI mode in BIOS
10. If your SSD supports it, enable TRIM!
11. Disable PageFile

Some of these may be unnecessary or redundant since you are doing a fresh install, but most of this stuff is aimed at reducing the amount of read/writes that you expose the SSD too... Moving your documents is a great way to save space on your SSD... Any of these steps you should be able to easily google to find out exactly how to accomplish them...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#5SpacewhizguyPosted 10/29/2013 10:54:51 AM(edited)
fatboy44 posted...
Thanks, great link. It is a bit more time-consuming than I thought it would be.

Exactly. That guide is useless. Don't follow it.

All you need to do is set your mobo to AHCI mode and install a fresh copy of Windows onto the SSD. That's it. You don't need to do anything else. You don't even need to worry about setting AHCI for newer mobos that do it for you. I guess since you're using Windows 7, you can disable Superfetch, though that's not required.

If you want more space, you can disable hibernation and reduce (not remove, never remove) your page file size, but there's nothing else you need to be doing. Anything else is a waste of time.
---
What's a sig?
#6fatboy44(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 1:10:10 PM
If he has 4gb of ram what would be an appropriate minimum and maximum for the page file?
#7lost_withinPosted 10/30/2013 1:13:55 PM
fatboy44 posted...
If he has 4gb of ram what would be an appropriate minimum and maximum for the page file?

I would let Windows manage the pagefile if you have any thing less then 8gbs of RAM...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison