This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tim Schafer humiliates naysayers with brilliant talk at XOXO festival 2013

#11El_ZaggyPosted 10/30/2013 12:29:49 PM
Tim Shaffer humiliated backers that supported him. And he took money from another kickstarter project to continue Broken Age.

I wished that Broken Age could be great but now this guy is just laughing and backers.
#12SnadadosPosted 10/30/2013 12:39:46 PM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
$3.3 million, plus all the other things they've been doing to make money, and yet, they still need even more money to finish the second half of the game, so they're releasing the first half.

^^
Just to put things into perspective.

And the game was originally supposed to have a budget of a few hundred thousand.

Now, some of that money has to go to fulfilling backer rewards like t-shirts and what not but they still received several times the amount they originally planed for.

I like the guy and have enjoyed most of the games Tim and his team have put out but he is clearly not that good a business man.
I hope the game turns out well and that in the future Tim and his team do a better job of managing the scope of their games vs the budget they are given.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#13wizardmonPosted 10/30/2013 12:51:58 PM
El_Zaggy posted...
Tim Shaffer humiliated backers that supported him. And he took money from another kickstarter project to continue Broken Age.

I wished that Broken Age could be great but now this guy is just laughing and backers.

You just don't understand what's actually happening.

It's okay, I don't think it's actually something that will effect your life either.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#14arleasPosted 10/30/2013 12:58:41 PM
But at least they will release the finished 1st part, not a beta.

I'm kinda anxious to see what it's going to be like, but at the same time I'm also eagerly awaiting Wasteland 2 and Elite Dangerous which are both supposed to be out or out in beta soon... I may wind up waiting for the whole thing to be finished rather than playing half the game and waiting 5-6 months for the 2nd half.

I prefer to get into a game and not have to stop playing till I'm ready to stop.

I like the guy and have enjoyed most of the games Tim and his team have put out but he is clearly not that good a business man.

Like I said before, this is par for the course in the game industry. The only difference between this and what happens normally is that you don't usually get a front row seat to the whole thing. Instead you might see a story about whatever game being delayed, and maybe eventually cancelled (when the publisher decides there isn't enough reason to continue funding it).
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#15akuma634Posted 10/30/2013 12:58:45 PM
I don't get the hate. You have these tinfoil hat nerds that think Kickstarter is evil and the worst thing ever. You can ignore it and buy the game if it does come out eventually and it's not your problem. In the case of this game, it's like they had 3 million which isn't really amazing as far as videogame production goes, they had a bigger vision and that meant taking some risks. They want a bigger game and people respond like "FU!!!!!! Biggest scam ever!!! Raaaaage!"
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#16JKatarnPosted 10/30/2013 1:32:27 PM
akuma634 posted...
I don't get the hate. You have these tinfoil hat nerds that think Kickstarter is evil and the worst thing ever. You can ignore it and buy the game if it does come out eventually and it's not your problem. In the case of this game, it's like they had 3 million which isn't really amazing as far as videogame production goes, they had a bigger vision and that meant taking some risks. They want a bigger game and people respond like "FU!!!!!! Biggest scam ever!!! Raaaaage!"

Many people on the internet have issues, so they channel their frustrations into pedantic arguments/self-righteous anger over things like this that don't even affect most of them.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#17arleasPosted 10/30/2013 2:03:09 PM
it's like they had 3 million which isn't really amazing as far as videogame production goes,

They didn't even have 3 million. About 1 million of that went to rewards and kickstarter fees..and yeah, $3 million for a "AAA blockbuster" would be peanuts...

people respond like "FU!!!!!! Biggest scam ever!!! Raaaaage!"

The people who didn't believe in it enough to back it themselves in the first place... The people who still think kickstarter is a scam or "a handout" to "Greedy game developers". Ignorant people basically.
---
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/Im803Gk.gif
#18KidIcaroots(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 2:14:23 PM
The main thing he says and the haters in the thread seem to be ignoring is that he did not run out of money. They decided to make a game that costs more than that and they saw the early access as a way to gather more funds.

It's actually a pretty business savvy decision. :)

I think a lot of haters find it strange that Double Fine is putting the game quality in first place, instead of trying to make a quick buck off their fanbase, because they are used to companies like Microsoft, Activision and EA scamming customers and releasing rushed, sloppy games.