This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking of building a PC instead of getting a PS4. Thoughts?

#1KarateKittyKillPosted 10/29/2013 12:18:49 PM
Here's what I want. I have inheritance money but I want a rig that can play BF4 and MW (original) in competitive settings. I also want the PC to be pretty easy to update, in case FO4 is released within the next couple years. I also want to play Skyrim with mods. And, I want to be able to play Titanfall online.

I will be happy with 500gb of ram, as I already have a HD. The box can be low-tier, and I plan to use my 36'' Samsung tv as a monitor until I can actually get a decent monitor. I have a keyboard and mouse, and will upgrade those later. I also have a sound system, and headset.

I'm looking to go cheap on certain things (such as the tower) but much more expensive on the hardware. I'm looking at anywhere from 500-800, but if spaced out a long enough times between purchases, I can see spending more.

Any ideas?
---
Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's. Pay no attention to Caesar. Caesar doesn't have the slightest idea what's really going on.
#2HypnotizerPosted 10/29/2013 12:27:24 PM
You could build a decent rig for $800 that will run circles around the ps4....

If you want to play some sky rim, bf4 and titan fall then I say go for it if there are no exclusives that interest you on the ps4.

I built my first rig last year and I can say it's amazing. I think you are making a wise decision.

Have you put any thoughts into the hardware yet?
---
Peace and love!
#3HypnotizerPosted 10/29/2013 12:30:02 PM
Oh I was going to suggest (if you are gaming at 1080p) either a 760 gtx or 770 gtx.

GTX 760 is 250 and may be a good card to consider

If you feel you want a bit more juice then a 770 might be good.

Anything more for 1080p gaming may be overkill.
---
Peace and love!
#4MangorushXIIIPosted 10/29/2013 12:32:42 PM
For $400 I would just go with the PS4, TC. You won't have to worry about upgrading for 8-10 years and all the games will run without any issues and not to mention the exclusive games you'll have access to as well and with PC sales on a decline, more developers are going to focus more on consoles than PC, so go with the PS4.
#5KarateKittyKill(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 12:43:27 PM
MangorushXIII posted...
For $400 I would just go with the PS4, TC. You won't have to worry about upgrading for 8-10 years and all the games will run without any issues and not to mention the exclusive games you'll have access to as well and with PC sales on a decline, more developers are going to focus more on consoles than PC, so go with the PS4.

I'm thinking of getting the PS4 a few years down the road when its bundled, is less expensive, has more exclusives, and less hardware problems. I did the same thing with the XBox 360 and it worked really well.
---
Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's. Pay no attention to Caesar. Caesar doesn't have the slightest idea what's really going on.
#6SlaynPosted 10/29/2013 12:51:19 PM
See sig.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#7MangorushXIIIPosted 10/29/2013 12:52:48 PM
Slayn posted...
See sig.

But can it play all the exclusive games that a $400 console can?
#8GodzFollowerPosted 10/29/2013 12:58:18 PM
KarateKittyKill posted...
MangorushXIII posted...

I'm thinking of getting the PS4 a few years down the road when its bundled, is less expensive, has more exclusives, and less hardware problems. I did the same thing with the XBox 360 and it worked really well.

Well sounds like you already have your mind made up. Just go ahead and build your PC, and buy the ps4 down the road. Its not going anywhere anytime soon, and $400 bucks isn't that hard to save up. As you said you may also have plenty of great deals and discounts waiting for you so its not a bad choice. Regardless, at some point in time you'll have the best of both worlds anyway.
---
Gfaqs is the home of the echo posters
#9Incendia_IntusPosted 10/29/2013 1:00:13 PM
MangorushXIII posted...
Slayn posted...
See sig.

Nope. Good thing most exclusives suck.
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
#10KarateKittyKill(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 1:00:34 PM
MangorushXIII posted...
Slayn posted...
See sig.

But saving money for when the system is significantly cheaper will probably work better.
---