This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want a tablet. I've never owned a tablet. Recommend me a tablet

#1my_name_is_EdPosted 10/29/2013 3:05:07 PM
My mom had a Kindle Fire. I messed around with it once in a while. Thought it was kinda "meh." She ended up going through 4 Kindle Fires, all because of shoddy usb ports she couldn't get them to take or hold a charge after like 4 months.

Eventually she got a Kindle Fire HD. I started messing around with it and thought it was badass, so now I want a tablet. But I don't know tablets like I know computers, so I'm sort of clueless.

Could someone recommend me a tablet? I'm looking to stay in the $200 range.

Also some tablet questions:

-What different kind of OS's are there for tablets? I know smartphones are largely divided between Android and iOS.

-What OS do the Kindles use? I'm sure it's not anything an ipad uses, but it doesn't look like any android OS i've seen on a smartphone.

-Can you use emulators on tablets? If so, emulators would be my biggest reason for getting one (but not my only reason)

I'll add more questions as they pop into my head.
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
#2my_name_is_Ed(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 3:23:38 PM
whats the difference between Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HDX?
---
#3Treason686Posted 10/29/2013 3:27:27 PM
my_name_is_Ed posted...
whats the difference between Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HDX?

Sounds like a revision to the HD. So far, the only thing new tablets have done is upgrade CPUs, RAM, and screen resolution.

For the $200 range, get a Nexus 7.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#4Treason686Posted 10/29/2013 3:29:31 PM
The two major OS are Android and iOS. Kindle uses Android, though a very customized Android. It's very restricted, and I wouldn't recommend it for most people.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#5my_name_is_Ed(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 3:29:47 PM
Treason686 posted...
For the $200 range, get a Nexus 7.

Why? I kinda need to know why, not knowing anything about tablets and such
---
#6KillerTrufflePosted 10/29/2013 3:33:04 PM(edited)
Honestly, it seems to me that one of those Surface Pro/2 tablets would be best, since they're effectively just very thin Windows computers.

The Kindle Fire runs a modified version of Android, proprietary to Kindle.

We have an ASUS Transformer (first gen), and it still works pretty well, but with Android and iOS, you're effectively limited to whatever apps someone makes available for those devices. With Windows 8 tablets, you can run a whole lot of things, since they support nearly anything made to run natively on Windows.

EDIT: Sorry - missed the line in there about sticking to the $200 range. For that price, it doesn't matter what you get - you're going to be pretty limited.

---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#7StormKMDPosted 10/29/2013 3:34:37 PM
http://www.google.com/nexus/7/
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#8my_name_is_Ed(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 3:36:11 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
EDIT: Sorry - missed the line in there about sticking to the $200 range. For that price, it doesn't matter what you get - you're going to be pretty limited.

My reasoning for this is because I don't wanna spend like $400 on a tablet only to find out it's just a phase/fad for me. I figure $200 is a decent price range to get a hold of an "entry level" tablet. If it doesn't catch on with me, no big deal. If I end up liking it, I can get a better, pricier tablet in a year or two
---
#9Arsene-LupinPosted 10/29/2013 3:38:33 PM
Nexus 7 is the absolute best. You get TON of bang for you buck--it's easily better than competing tablets that cost three times as much.

What you get with a Nexus 7 is:

-Best tablet/touch-based OS on the market with a TON of customization options and a lot of versatility.
-A ton of convenience features from Google--syncing and cloud storage and that kind of thing.
-A tablet that will fully charge its batter in 20 minutes or so--and the battery lasts a LONG time, much longer than Kindle Fires.
-The best, brightest display you've ever seen in your life.
-A reliable piece of hardware built by ASUS.

And Kindle Fires are just terrible. Crappy battery life, take forever to charge, and terrible OS.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#10kukukupoPosted 10/29/2013 3:38:51 PM
Stick with Samsung.

Get a nexus if that is all you can afford - but the "Note" is awesome. you will find yourself using the note if you are a student. It can keep track of all your class notes in one place and export them to PDF if you need to print them. Plus, you can take pictures and place them into your notes if they have stuff written on the board.

IF you just want to game/etc - get a cheaper tablet. The Nexus is more likely to run most games on Google Play. Kindle/etc will only run a few of the games or will have issues.
---
FC: 1091-8353-7458