This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When're you going to upgrade your PC to compete with the PS4's 8GB of GDDR5 Ram?

#11WygunPosted 10/29/2013 5:20:21 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
I still can't get over the fact these people actually think RAM = Better graphics.

Faster ram totally results in better graphics... in an APU.
#12MaxCHEATER64Posted 10/29/2013 5:21:24 PM
gastaman posted...
In 2008.

---
i5-3570K | HD 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#13QuestofChosenPosted 10/29/2013 5:23:29 PM
Wygun posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
I still can't get over the fact these people actually think RAM = Better graphics.

Faster ram totally results in better graphics... in an APU.

Damm. Imagine what an APU with 8gb of GDDR5 ram could do! It would destroy all PCs out there. All hail the mighty 8gb of GDDR5.
#14Madmicky933Posted 10/29/2013 5:26:32 PM
^ Gotta love sarcasm.
---
Karma... Is a powerful force..
#15DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/29/2013 5:57:48 PM
Never.
Why would I want to downgrade to compete with low-end trash when I can just have a vastly superior experience?
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#16StarksPosted 10/29/2013 6:03:28 PM
Don't ridicule Wygun, he's actually right.

If you run out an buy an AMD APU, the on-die GPU performance is pretty much linked to RAM speed and timings.

The new Intel IGPs and Iris do this too, but it's nowhere near as dramatic even though Intel does weird lockings between FSB, bclk, multipliers, etc.
---
#otchat ~ https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/otchat
Mods/Gods 2013
#17Last Grand MageX2Posted 10/29/2013 6:12:38 PM
Starks posted...

If you run out an buy an AMD APU, the on-die GPU performance is pretty much linked to RAM speed and timings.

The new Intel IGPs and Iris do this too, but it's nowhere near as dramatic even though Intel does weird lockings between FSB, bclk, multipliers, etc.

And aren't the PS4 and XBONE basically using APUs, or at the very least, a hardware solution that works very similarly to an APU?

Not that it changes the fact that the actual processor for both consoles is actually pretty weak, but I think that the decision to go with GDDR5 for the PS4 was an excellent decision for Sony, and also one that benefits those of us who have ascended to PC Master Race status.

It's kind of like Apple and solid state drives, the early adoption of GDDR5 by sony should help boost production and consequently lower the price of GDDR5 ram.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#18DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/29/2013 6:42:46 PM
Last Grand MageX2 posted...
Starks posted...

And aren't the PS4 and XBONE basically using APUs, or at the very least, a hardware solution that works very similarly to an APU?

Not that it changes the fact that the actual processor for both consoles is actually pretty weak, but I think that the decision to go with GDDR5 for the PS4 was an excellent decision for Sony, and also one that benefits those of us who have ascended to PC Master Race status.

It's kind of like Apple and solid state drives, the early adoption of GDDR5 by sony should help boost production and consequently lower the price of GDDR5 ram.

The reason faster RAM makes APUs perform better is that standard desktop RAM is insufficient for graphics memory, which is why we have high-speed graphics RAM to begin with.
It won't make it perform better than an otherwise identical dedicated graphics processor.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#19Last Grand MageX2Posted 10/29/2013 7:08:05 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Last Grand MageX2 posted...
Starks posted...

The reason faster RAM makes APUs perform better is that standard desktop RAM is insufficient for graphics memory, which is why we have high-speed graphics RAM to begin with.
It won't make it perform better than an otherwise identical dedicated graphics processor.

I don't see a single claim in this topic or my post that would imply that GDDR5 RAM will magically turn a subpar APU into a PC destroying beast, I know that GDDR5 is already used in modern GPUs, and why RAM speed is important for GPUs and APUs, and less so for CPUs. However, I think that going with GDDR5 is going to give Sony a huge advantage over Microsoft, which is what matters to them.

Like I said before though, increased production of GDDR5 RAM will lead to cheaper GDDR5 RAM which will mean we'll start to see GPUs with more RAM, as well as APUs becoming more viable for high-end gaming, which will be great for anyone who wants a gaming laptop. However you want to slice it, a price drop in GDDR5 RAM can only be good for the Master Race.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#20PhilOnDezPosted 10/29/2013 7:26:36 PM
Except we'll probably be moving on to GDDR6 before long.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez