This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question regarding upgrading...

#1The_Jolly_GamerPosted 10/29/2013 4:52:04 PM
I want to get more serious into PC gaming.

Steam sales, more games, better visuals and performance...I could stop playing consoles and be perfectly fine. Only downside is that I have a stupid Dell Inspiron 570 that barely runs anything. I've tried reading about upgrading and it completely overwhelms me. I know, you probably all think I'm stupid, but the process of building my own PC seems daunting.

I know you can buy pre-built gaming PC's, but I also know that a lot of you guys are against it. What I would like to know is if you can recommend any pre-builts that are actually worth it.

I'm not looking to run everything on Ultra settings, I just want to at least play anything on medium. I don't like seeing all these cool games that my PC can't handle. Price isn't that much of an issue, saying as how I'm going to be saving up for a little bit and will most likely end up selling my consoles.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
#2VIP86Posted 10/29/2013 4:57:55 PM
I didn't know anything about building over a year ago. I now have built 2 computers and will be building more for clients. Do some research, watch some youtube videos. The price you pay for prebuilts is more expensive then if you built your own. If you really don't have the inclination and patience to learn a new craft and be proud of a finished product, there are many sites that will build the system for you. Xoticpc and ncix are ones that come into my mind.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#3Pal 080Posted 10/29/2013 5:03:07 PM(edited)
NO pre-built is worth it, everyone here will probably tell you this. Just ask around and do some research to find out what kind of price point you're looking for first, and then try and build accordingly.

Some useful resources I have used:

http://www.pcityourself.com/ A very helpful animation for the first time building a PC, it helped me tremendously

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ A handy database of basically every graphics card and processor on the market filed into a ranked list based on benchmark scores. This thing is amazing for getting a general idea of how powerful the components you're buying are.

http://www.newegg.com/DIY-PC-SuperCombos/PromotionStore/ID-33 This is a link to newegg, possibly the best place to order most parts for a PC. The page I linked shows a bunch of combos you can purchase which can simplify the process of picking out everything individually and worrying about compatibility. These combos change on a regular basis.

As above poster pointed out you could actually end up making money by offering to build PC's for other people you know. Trust me, if you put in the time to learn some basics you'll be amazed at how easy it all is to grasp, how simple it is to build a PC from scratch, and how badly you get ripped off by retail pre-builts. You'll also never buy a pre-built again.
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#4KabtheMentatPosted 10/29/2013 5:03:43 PM
VIP86 posted...
I didn't know anything about building over a year ago. I now have built 2 computers and will be building more for clients. Do some research, watch some youtube videos. The price you pay for prebuilts is more expensive then if you built your own. If you really don't have the inclination and patience to learn a new craft and be proud of a finished product, there are many sites that will build the system for you. Xoticpc and ncix are ones that come into my mind.

Pretty much this. Just watch videos and maybe find a friend that's built a PC. That's what I've done and I managed to build my own PC about 6 months ago and it was very easy.

The hardest part is figuring out what to buy. Like do you want a 7950, 680, a i5, or FX-8350, etc.

But there's a couple things that are easy to buy. RAM...get at least 8GB RAM (2 4GB sticks IMO). Hard drive...at least 500GB, probably 1TB. PSU...500W will do you just fine at stock speeds/slight overclocking. Make sure to get at least a 1920x1080 monitor.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#5Cheech001Posted 10/30/2013 7:00:01 AM
I originally bought a prebuilt from iBuyPower. It did serve me well $779 for a fx6100 & a 560 2gb, back in Feb 2011. Just a few months ago I overhauled it, everything was new except I kept the hdd as my Steam game holder.

At first I was overwelmed, but after watching a few videos on installations I built my own rig and had a great time doing it. Plus that feel when you first turn it on and everything works.
#6KabtheMentatPosted 10/30/2013 7:02:46 AM
Yep, and what's amazing is that there are people in shops and stores all around this country, and the world, that make decent money just assembling PC parts for people that don't know any better.

And you're sitting there on your own putting yours together and it literally takes maybe an hour from having all of the parts still in the box to booting it up and installing Windows. And I sit there and think "People really get paid for this ****. Amazing."
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#7tiger8191Posted 10/30/2013 7:11:16 AM
In my household which consists of my wife, a 3 yr old, and myself, I would be the least mechanically inclined to build anything. I took the plunge and built my gaming PC and it was like putting together my kids Legos. You learn a lot and the sense of satisfaction makes u love it more. I suggest building your own. Newegg has a 3 part vid series on building a PC I suggest watching. I watched it the day I built mine and had no issues

I suggest using pcpartpicker.com when picking components. If you live near amicrocenter you can get great combo deals on CPU/mobo.
---
www.youtube.com/user/FearsomeBeaver
www.twitch.tv/fearsomebeaver