This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the stigma on Nvidia drivers and the 314.22 being supposedly the best one

#21MasterDonGeroPosted 10/30/2013 5:42:46 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
314.14*.
314.21 introduced instability in several games to provide some small half-fixes to Tomb Raider. 314.22 fixed a bug with that. Everything thereafter had pretty serious stability issues.

I blame Tomb Raider for being a broken mess.

Is Tomb Raider an extremely average game? Yes.
Is it kinda repetitive and boring? Yes.
But is it a broken mess? No.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#22ShebeskiiPosted 10/30/2013 8:38:44 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
Orestes417 posted...
I still maintain that the fault is on specific hardware subsets and not with the drivers. Otherwise you'd expect repeatable issues across the entire family of cards from those generations.

Possible. But it seems like a longshot given the number of different manufacturers for each model. Unless the reference design was flawed to begin with.

Possible. I haven't been affected too badly. I get the odd crash on the desktop, but never while gaming. By odd I mean once every couple of weeks.

But yeah, there's something up, but I haven't felt the brunt of it.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#23Incendia_IntusPosted 10/30/2013 8:40:23 AM
I'm using 331.58 and it's working great. Haven't had any trouble.
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
#24ShebeskiiPosted 10/30/2013 8:40:44 AM
ajko000 posted...
WerdnAndreW posted...
This only applies to the 400 and 500 series. Any driver past 314.22 will freeze or crash the PC.

This. Oh my god you've no idea the rage TC, the pure, undying, RAGE.

I get a driver reset every couple of weeks, but outside of that, nothing. It's super minor and delays use of the desktop for maybe 2-3 seconds 1-2 times a month. Never happens when gaming. It's not exactly catastrophic.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#25Orestes417Posted 10/30/2013 9:14:27 AM(edited)
PraetorXyn posted...
Orestes417 posted...
I still maintain that the fault is on specific hardware subsets and not with the drivers. Otherwise you'd expect repeatable issues across the entire family of cards from those generations.

Possible. But it seems like a longshot given the number of different manufacturers for each model. Unless the reference design was flawed to begin with.

Lets put it this way. If you've got two cards of the same type side by side and one develops issues while one is perfectly normal you don't look at the drivers first, you look at the card that's causing issues. If you scale that up to 2000 cards of the same type and some portion of them behave abnormally while others continue to work perfectly you start looking at what the ones that are broken have in common that the ones that work fine don't. I'm thinking we're dealing with a manufacturing process defect that doesn't show up till you ask the hardware to do specific things and doesn't occur in every card. If that's the case they'll never be able to fix it because they're never going to be able to isolate it.

Now if it were a pure driver issue on the other hand I should be able to swap any reference card with another card of the same specs and expect the same results.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#26fataliPosted 10/30/2013 9:54:47 AM
SpazH3d posted...
fatali posted...
I have a GTX 560, and with the driver that came out after 314.22 I would get a lot of freezes on firefox, I tried a few new drivers but I always had to turn back to 314.22 because it keep happening with every new release, however I decided to try the latest drivers just to test, and I haven't had any issues since last week, I'm not sure if was the new drivers or the update to windows 8.1, but the freezings seem to be gone for me.

Kindly point out what driver is working for you. If people see this post later they'll have no idea what version you are on.

I'm using the 331.58 drivers right now, still no sign of problems.

I just notice there's a newer version of the drivers, 331.65, I haven't tried that one yet, first I want to wait at least a month and make sure the problems are gone.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#27DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/30/2013 10:01:06 AM
MasterDonGero posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
314.14*.
314.21 introduced instability in several games to provide some small half-fixes to Tomb Raider. 314.22 fixed a bug with that. Everything thereafter had pretty serious stability issues.

I blame Tomb Raider for being a broken mess.

Is Tomb Raider an extremely average game? Yes.
Is it kinda repetitive and boring? Yes.
But is it a broken mess? No.

In terms of the graphics pipeline?
Yes it is.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#28El_ZaggyPosted 10/30/2013 10:03:32 AM
I'm not even sure if its true, I know several people irl that have 500 series with the latest drivers and nobody have any problems.
#29fataliPosted 10/30/2013 10:05:34 AM
El_Zaggy posted...
I'm not even sure if its true, I know several people irl that have 500 series with the latest drivers and nobody have any problems.

Look here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/621899/geforce-drivers/desktop-internet-browser-freeze-or-tdr-thread-w-geforce-460-560-gpus/

It's a real issue for many people, they have a topic open just for this issue in the nvidia forums.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.