This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what people have to realize about gaming pc vs ps4

#71godplaysSNESPosted 10/31/2013 3:05:33 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
All the PC has going for it is tons of horsepower and its ability to get even more horsepower, and while that's a biggie indeed, there are areas the consoles have advantages in because they don't go through so thick API layers

You can throw more and more power into a PC, but they'll be limited by the limitations of the current DirectX and OpenGL. And that's, right now, a huge CPU overhead and exposing features that came to market back in 2009

The main reason the consoles didn't run the PC version of Crysis is because of the RAM. The 360 had a great GPU for its time, but the RAM was on par with low-end PCs

Granted, haven't read the entire thread, but in this comment, are you ignoring the advantages of the best backward compatibility, largest number of control options, emulation, ease of modding, accessibility to third-party developers, and whatever other advantages there are too? Or am I taking that comment out of context?

We were talking about hardware capabilities

But while these advantages are great advantages indeed, it depends alot on what OS you're using. It can be a real chore getting very old games working on Vista and later
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#72KillerTrufflePosted 10/31/2013 3:08:46 PM
Got it. But even in terms of hardware capabilities, I'd say PC still has superior control options - keyboard & mouse native, wide variety of gamepads, joysticks, racing wheels, flight sticks (especially if you're *really* into realism and go for all the extra flight console options), and more. Add in stuff like TrackIR (technically I guess Kinect should be capable of that), Oculus Rift, etc., and PC still seems to come out ahead in terms of hardware.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#73The cranky hermitPosted 10/31/2013 3:21:07 PM(edited)
Because everyone knows the consoles have always been "maxed" by release games...

Haven't they? Seems to me that each year of the current gen of consoles have had to sacrifice frame rate, resolution, draw distance, and stuff in order to keep up with PC games in terms of overall detail.

You can throw more and more power into a PC, but they'll be limited by the limitations of the current DirectX and OpenGL.

So let's get this straight:
PC's: Can throw more and more power into it
Consoles: Can't
PC's: Limited by the abilities of the current API
Consoles: Limited by their own hardware and STILL dependent on API

It sounds like you are trying to argue the consoles have advantages, but your arguments suggest the opposite.

It can be a real chore getting very old games working on Vista and later

It's usually trivial. For every game you can mention that is more difficult than loading up DOSBox, I can name ten old console games that you can't play on modern consoles AT ALL.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!