This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Installing a new SSD as a boot drive.

#21XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 11:39:52 PM
And things like picture editors, anti virus, word proccessors have to be on my main drive, not my 2ndary drive?
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#22XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 12:02:47 AM
aNYONE?
---
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#23WerdnAndreWPosted 10/30/2013 12:17:12 AM(edited)
Programs can be installed ANYWHERE, it doesn't have to be your main OS drive. You need to download all your software and install again, you can't re-use your old programs from the HDD because its registry entries have been deleted. As for Steam...

Download Steam and install it on your HDD. Download your games but stop it right after. It should have created a few folders. Now you can move your game directories to the newly created one. Resume your download on Steam and it should be complete.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#24XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 12:20:55 AM
So I can install, say, MS office on my secondary HD, but still make a shortcut for it on my desk top to open it?

And I should just reformat my 2ndary HDD and clean install everything right?
---
#25XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 12:24:39 AM
Also can i install Steam on the secondary drive with all my games BUT install the main game im playing FROM steam on the SSD? Or do all games have to be on the secondary HDD?
---
#26WerdnAndreWPosted 10/30/2013 1:18:40 AM
XxTwisted26xX posted...
So I can install, say, MS office on my secondary HD, but still make a shortcut for it on my desk top to open it?

You could but its best to install programs onto the ssd.

XxTwisted26xX posted...
Also can i install Steam on the secondary drive with all my games BUT install the main game im playing FROM steam on the SSD? Or do all games have to be on the secondary HDD?

I'm pretty sure Steam now allows you to install games where ever you like so you can have most of your games on the HDD and a couple on the SSD.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#27XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 1:30:06 AM
WerdnAndreW posted...
XxTwisted26xX posted...

You could but its best to install programs onto the ssd.

XxTwisted26xX posted...

I'm pretty sure Steam now allows you to install games where ever you like so you can have most of your games on the HDD and a couple on the SSD.

Awesome! Ty! Damn, now i wonder if they have a transfer game option... like transfer to another SSD
---