This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The only way PC can overtake consoles in gaming popularity

#1YukitoRamboPosted 10/29/2013 10:02:18 PM
I don't think the problem is the stupid drivers and hardware compatibility. This is the age of the internet; solution to most things is only one Google Search away.

No, blaming controllers is plain stupid.

It's all about the price, and we are part of the problem.

Nevermind the fact that you can do some research and find a rig that would play with decent settings at only 100+ bucks more expensive(as opposed to needing 1k BS) compared to the consoles at launch, but with the ability to do everything else a PC can do. One can be productive even. Most of us don't care about that though. The public have been conditioned throughout the decades to think of gaming on PC is expensive by default.

We have come to accept that, and we let companies overprice stuff. It's the 'iPhone syndrome'; we bend over no matter how senseless the pricing would be because those things are supposed to be 'premium'. The rich bastards would pay no matter how high simply because they have the money, but the less fortunate are contributing to this by accepting the fact, and even patiently saving their money no matter how questionable they do it(skip bills, eat junk food, etc.). NVIDIA has to gladly keep that 1k price point because people still buy Titan - two or three even - and they are just taking advantage of continuing demand. At this point, it's no longer really about 'performance'.

It's about telling every other gamers, "You people are peasants, and this makes me above you". I mean really, how much detail you can miss playing in High from Ultra when you're in the heat of war?

Perhaps it's a bit too late, but the whole ordeal with Titan being 1000USD, and AMD coming out with a card in the same class for less than 600USD opened my eyes. Seeing the obsessive NVIDIA fanboys before NVIDIA themselves came out with a Titan beater of their own at just 700USD makes me sick. Same goes for Intel vs. AMD wars. Intel has consistently charged significantly more for their high-end processors, even during AMD's Athlon era. AMD does it too when they thought no one's looking. And we relent and buy them all anyway.

/essay
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#2HypnotizerPosted 10/29/2013 10:05:33 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3Mr kittyPosted 10/29/2013 10:07:20 PM
The only way is to force prebuild minimum requirement to be as strong as the newer console. You'll see it will sky rocket like no tomorrow.
---
Sabertooth X79|Core i7 3930K @4.3GHz|Zalman CNPS12X|Kingston HyperX 8X4GB CL9|VisionTek HD7970 3GB|10TB storage|Silent Pro M1000W|TC-32LZ800|Corsair 800D
#4EpicKingdom_Posted 10/29/2013 10:25:54 PM
Omg TC is figure it all out for uuhhss.
---
The PC gaming Master Race will never die out. We will continue to train, raise, and breed Master Race.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#5YukitoRambo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 10:27:32 PM
Mr kitty posted...
The only way is to force prebuild minimum requirement to be as strong as the newer console. You'll see it will sky rocket like no tomorrow.

SteamOS and SteamMachine concept seems to revolve around this. Gabe had the right idea.

But the future is still uncertain. We are talking about corporations who are used to marking up their products up the wazoo for decades.

If somehow SteamOS can convince enough developers to make stuff on that platform, things can change. Their biggest challenge won't be us gamers; Knowing how dirty businesses can get, you think those hardware makers are just gonna stand around and let that happen? The keyword you'd be looking for here is 'lobbying', because the terms 'bribery', 'blackmailing' and 'supply choking' are politically incorrect.
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#6Flaktrooper123Posted 10/29/2013 10:31:03 PM
I think they should make prebuilds using available components instead of just hiding what they stash in there. Labor premium is fine for places that need it. I think they should make barebone prebuilds more popular.