This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to Customize this Laptop

#1theblurchPosted 10/30/2013 7:04:45 AM
http://www.xoticpc.com/force-msi-1763-22001-780m-msi-gt70-barebones-p-5815.html

Just curious as to what upgrades you would make to this laptop. On the customization page, I was thinking of upgrading to a 1TB SSD. Is it worth it to upgrade the processor? Also, would it be good to upgrade the thermal compound if I plan to use it for gaming?

Any help is much appreciated.
---
XBL: T Skillet ///// Steam ID: The Blurch
Currently Playing: Shadowrun Returns, Rogue Legacy, Civ V BNW
#2Lady UnePosted 10/30/2013 7:07:42 AM
I vote stickers.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
I still love Scribs.
#3Dr_keithPosted 10/30/2013 7:13:33 AM
Lady Une posted...
I vote stickers.

+1
---
If you're worse than me: You're a n00b.
If you're better than me: You're a hacker.
#4theblurch(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 7:14:15 AM
Seriously.
---
#5OldSorrowPosted 10/30/2013 7:16:31 AM
Dr_keith posted...
Lady Une posted...
I vote stickers.

+1

make sure they are red stickers for faster performance
---
If you don't use Throwback Mode for a full week while logged in, you will lose access.
#6GTRagnarokPosted 10/30/2013 7:18:46 AM
theblurch posted...
Also, would it be good to upgrade the thermal compound if I plan to use it for gaming

Isn't that the whole point of getting that laptop? Normally, I would say no to the thermal compound upgrade and do it yourself, but it's a free upgrade right now so that's a no-brainer.

The 4800MQ is kinda worth it if your wallet can handle it, but the 4900MQ and 4930MX are definitely not worth it.

The SSDs are up to you. Personally, I would get a ~250GB SSD + a 1TB HDD for storage.
#7cancerstormPosted 10/30/2013 7:23:10 AM
1 tb ssd? if you have that money to waste get one of those alienware laptops with the gtx 780m sli
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#8theblurch(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 7:57:32 AM
GTRagnarok posted...
theblurch posted...
Also, would it be good to upgrade the thermal compound if I plan to use it for gaming

Isn't that the whole point of getting that laptop? Normally, I would say no to the thermal compound upgrade and do it yourself, but it's a free upgrade right now so that's a no-brainer.

The 4800MQ is kinda worth it if your wallet can handle it, but the 4900MQ and 4930MX are definitely not worth it.

The SSDs are up to you. Personally, I would get a ~250GB SSD + a 1TB HDD for storage.

Question about that...is it better to play games from a SSD or HDD, or is there even a difference?
---
#9Lady UnePosted 10/30/2013 8:01:52 AM
theblurch posted...
GTRagnarok posted...
theblurch posted...

Question about that...is it better to play games from a SSD or HDD, or is there even a difference?

You will/should get faster loading times off an SSD. For games that have a lot of loading screens or ones than seem to drag on, it's a boon.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
I still love Scribs.
#10theblurch(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 8:18:22 AM
So, on RAM, what GB should I go for? 8, or higher?
---