This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Stronghold Crusader HD or Extreme HD Edition?

#1iPr0kkaFTWPosted 10/30/2013 11:06:43 AM
I have zero knowledge of this gem I've stumbled upon on Steam as it is on sale right now. I looked up videos on YouTube of gameplay and it looks amazing. I'm debating whether I should get the original Stronghold Crusader (then patch to HD) or get the Extreme HD Edition. Is the Extreme Edition worth the 10,000 population cap?
#2KillerTrufflePosted 10/30/2013 11:16:19 AM
Honestly, I found the original Stronghold much better than Crusader - I'd recommend Stronghold HD rather than either of the Crusader editions.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3Knight2520Posted 10/30/2013 11:26:32 AM
My box copy of SCE came with the regular Stronghold Crusader on the DVD as well, so there's that to potentially consider. SCE has no campaigns like the original SC, and it has a different crusader trail (can't recall what the exact name is) that's significantly harder.

If you just want to play skirmishes against the AI, go for SCE. That 10,000 unit cap is so much fun. If you want the original crusader trail and some military and economic campaigns built in from the get-go, get SC.
---
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos<
#4iPr0kkaFTW(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 11:42:20 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'll get the Stronghold Crusader HD version on Steam. I'll also look into the original Stronghold as well!
#5Knight2520Posted 10/30/2013 12:23:10 PM
I'm not sure if it's included in the HD patch, or the version Steam has, but be aware that there is another free patch available for SC that adds several more AI opponents (Emperor Frederick, the Marshall from Stronghold, the Sheriff of Nottingham, and I think a monk).
---
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos<
#6TheWarhammeronlPosted 10/30/2013 12:25:02 PM
They are separate? I'm pretty sure if you buy SC HD it comes with SC extreme HD.

Mine did.
---
"Your opinion doesn't matter unless you support it with ACTUAL facts" Mr.Hoshaw 10th grade English teacher
#7Knight2520Posted 10/30/2013 12:26:23 PM
TheWarhammeronl posted...
They are separate? I'm pretty sure if you buy SC HD it comes with SC extreme HD.

Mine did.

On Steam?
---
#8iPr0kkaFTW(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 3:32:55 PM
I purchased Stronghold Crusader HD and Stronghold HD as recommended. The Crusader HD came with the Extreme Edition as well (separately). So far I'm loving it! The learning curve is quite high and the tutorial didn't help much.
#9Knight2520Posted 10/30/2013 10:22:38 PM
Oh, nice. What aspects are challenging you most at the moment? Early game starting in a skirmish? Since you got Stronghold, give the Stronghold campaign a try. The first several missions are essentially a long tutorial, and they do really well to introduce core game concepts. They don't really change across the two games.
---
#10iPr0kkaFTW(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 11:00:21 PM
I was just messing around with Free Build. I've noticed there's the lack of a custom skirmish mode on Stronghold. At first I was struggling with the economy but after spending more time I was able to keep the people happy with an abundance of food while the taxes were still set to high or mean. With plenty of resources, I was able to sell at the market and gain more gold just in case I was low in food although I was extremely wealthy.

Overall I really like it. It's just food that's problematic for me in the beginning as meat is very scarce especially in Crusaders but I quickly developed the skill to manage it. Also is it better to be cruel than nice to increase production as long there's an abundant of happiness from another source such as religion and ale?