This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When do you uprade your video card(s)?

#1Trance_FanPosted 10/30/2013 11:15:42 AM
topic - Results (171 votes)
Everytime a new flagship releases, even if its 6 months later
1.17% (2 votes)
I upgrade once a year to a new card
4.68% (8 votes)
I SLI CF a year later when prices drop
5.85% (10 votes)
I upgrade every 2-3 years
68.42% (117 votes)
I'm still using an ancient card in my desktop
19.88% (34 votes)
This poll is now closed.
if you're a laptop only user the same can apply
---
i think it's nice
#2SinisterSlayPosted 10/30/2013 11:16:41 AM
I upgrade when I can no longer play newer games I want at an acceptable frame rate.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3ThePCElitistPosted 10/30/2013 11:17:06 AM
It's hard to resist that urge of upgrading every year. I've been biting my nails while glaring at the 780 Lightning GPU's even though I'm using 680 Lightning's in SLI already.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#4El_KazPosted 10/30/2013 11:37:01 AM
Whenever someone tells me that now is the time to upgrade, based on information written in italics.
---
Wait... what?
#5maybecallsPosted 10/30/2013 11:39:41 AM
Given my increasing lack of interest in new games and gaming in general, it's possible that I will never upgrade my graphics card again. Currently using a GTX 460, which was part of this PC's original build.
#6ThePCElitistPosted 10/30/2013 11:41:13 AM
maybecalls posted...
Given my increasing lack of interest in new games and gaming in general, it's possible that I will never upgrade my graphics card again. Currently using a GTX 460, which was part of this PC's original build.

I remember the 460 very well because everyone seemed to have gone nuts over it. Didn't it OC like very well?
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#7maybecallsPosted 10/30/2013 11:44:49 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
maybecalls posted...

I remember the 460 very well because everyone seemed to have gone nuts over it. Didn't it OC like very well?

It was a fairly old card when I bought it two years ago (but also cheap!). This one is actually factory overclocked almost to standard 560 speeds.

Like I say, though, my interest in the games themselves has almost evaporated of late. Maybe I will regain some enthusiasm. Probably not.
#8DawnshadowPosted 10/30/2013 11:49:19 AM
Whenever the old card just isn't powerful enough anymore. Ideally, that would be a 3-4 year cycle.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#9SinisterSlayPosted 10/30/2013 11:56:14 AM
maybecalls posted...

I've been feeling that too.

So far my 9600 gt is still managing to play everything I want to play. Even Tomb Raider 2013.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/30/2013 12:02:26 PM(edited)
Every 2 years or so. Though sometimes there are certain periods where certainly games get a little more demanding. We are experiencing that now with some of the "next gen" games coming out. Suddenly people are concerned with hyperthreading on their CPUs and the VRAM on their GPU's. Typically, such a period is then followed by a long period where games keep more or less similar hardware requirements.

It also depends on the game I happen to be playing at the time. I would not upgrade my videocard to play Counter strike, Starcraft or DOTA. It is usually only when there are new games coming out I actually want to play, that I will consider an upgrade.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H