This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I the only PC gamer who doesn't use mods?

#51SlaynPosted 10/31/2013 2:32:00 AM
I use mods to fix stuff, like Dark Souls, or older games which might require to run in widescreen ( I mean actual mods, not .ini stuff ). Other than that, I don't bother. I tried modding Morrowind and ended up getting about 20 fps by extending the draw distance. I just don't see the need to mod Bethesda/Obsidian games. If I can't manage to pass the game without modding it, why bother? If I beat the game once, I don't bother going back modded I just move on.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#52TimePharaohPosted 10/31/2013 2:37:39 AM(edited)
Chaos_Missile posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...
A game should've be able to grant you hours of replayability without the use of mods. If mods are required, that means the replayability is just that insufficient and the developers failed.

"I like this so much that I finished it. But I want more, because I finished it. I can get more....oh, developers failed, they didn't give me infinite content"

Solid gamefaqs logic

IDK:
- replay it on a different difficulty level
- self-imposed challenge
- play as a seperate character/class/etc
- use different skills
- just plain enjoy replaying it just for the sake of it

But, sure, that's so hard to do. So, let's just install mods because I'm lazy </sarcasm>

Does Dark Souls need mods?
Did Monster Hunter need mods?
Did World of Warcraft require mods?
Does Pokemon need mods?
Does Starcraft require mods?
Does any fighting games in general require mods?

How the hell did people claim they can spend thousands of hours on them?

Solid GameFAQ logic indeed.

Why replay it on a different difficulty setting, instead of different content? Why "self impose" a challenge, when I can have another challenge? If your idea of enough content is "do the same thing again" instead of something new, well, you might just be a peasant. That's just stupid and a poor attempt to stick to your terrible argument. And how dare those developers not create advanced visuals from 10 years in the future. Terrible. Their games aren't worth playing because they didn't have the technology to do it at the time.

Oh, and Dark Souls did need a mod. WoW is an online only game, so uh...you can't mod it? Pokemon is a handheld console game, so the extent to mods are random character hacks (which, by the way, are quite popular). Starcraft has tons of mods...they're called custom modes. The reason fighting games are popular is the Vs aspect...what can you mod? Different character models (oh, this happens though...). So your examples consists of console games, and online restricted ones. 10/10 keep up the good work

Ever heard of Counter Strike? Derp mod.
Team Fortress 2? Derp mod
Dota 2? Derp mod
Natural Selection 2? Derp mod
Alien Swarm? Derp mod

Might as well just go back and delete every custom map ever made for an FPS. Delete Steam workshop while we're at it. Tools the developers release to create custom campaigns? Pssh, get rid of it, user created content is stupid.

Go back to your PS3.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#53Iskander72Posted 10/31/2013 9:10:11 AM
Sk0rbut posted...
We're living in a world where features in games are added and removed just on the basis of how they might affect the final metacritic score of a game... frankly, I don't give a rat's rear end on "the developer's vision" anymore - at least when it comes to A - AAA games.

I don't understand the developer's vision crowd either. Bethesda's "vision" of skyrim seems to have been an under-developed mess that was almost unplayable. Modded skyrim has me closing in on 500 hours of playtime.
#54Tyranius2Posted 10/31/2013 9:14:49 AM
Chaos_missile is a peasant. I love these peasant filtering topics
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#55btaylorstlPosted 10/31/2013 9:23:23 AM
Honestly, while I definitely like the idea of mods and am glad they're there for a rainy day, I really don't use them much at all. The ones I do use are either for older games that basically update it for modern times or to fix problems like in Dark Souls.

The biggest reason I moved to PC is for the better technical experience compared to consoles. Most of the time I'm plenty satisfied with the same game with better graphics and frame rate. It might be different if I didn't have hundreds of games at my disposal and I needed to get as much time out of each game as possible, but with Steam sales making games so cheap, that's never been an issue.
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/29/11
#56Lum_YatsuraPosted 10/31/2013 11:36:54 AM
I've lost interest in mods or cheats over the years. Don't really play fan translations all that much either, despite my genre interests.

Generally though I think mods should be additions rather than necessary. Modders could be spending their time on new content. Over fixing the kinds of bugs with no business in a professional release.
---
3ds fc: 5026 4515 5016
What's the buzz? A high voltage positive ion attack!? Chaaa!
#57Broccoli92Posted 10/31/2013 12:06:52 PM(edited)
Rawe posted...
It depends on the game, something like Torchlight 2 I don't understand why people use mods, it's a game that requires you to play long hours and collect items, yet people are modding drop rates and such.

I'm not sure if i can call that a mod. probably hacking the game instead. Anyway, you're not alone my brother that play Skyrim didn't wanted to install some of the massive changing mods that i recommended. since this is what he said to me "It's troublesome to install mods how about there's a installer somewhere and automatically install it everything for me?" Yup i know there are mods out there have automatically installer but not all of them so yeah he just too lazy.

There are many different mods out there, additional content, bug fixing, improving the graphics/gameplay and many more
---
Intel i5 3470 3.20GHz | Sapphire HD 7850 2GB | 8GB RAM | Asrock Z77 PRO3 |WD 1TB| PSU 650w Enermax
#58wizardmonPosted 11/1/2013 9:36:54 AM
All right, I gave NMM a chance.

It works all right, a little clunky at how it works but it's better than nothing.

What I like: Don't have to manage installers or keep track of where I'm downloading mods and it auto-downloads them so I can close the tab the second I click download.

What I don't like: The GUI was a little hard for me to read because you can't change font size or do alternate row shading to differentiate lines more easily.

What I wish it had: Automatic conflict detection like that old oblivion mod manager had, I had to launch Skyrim some odd 50+ times last night looking for the odd mod out finding out what mod was having a fit and why. (It was just crashing to desktop the moment the main menu loaded.)

It's pretty nice now though, got a better UI mod and all that jazz working. Just need to find out why the enb wrapper is making my game look super washed out.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#59Abiz_Posted 11/3/2013 9:13:20 PM
wizardmon posted...

What I wish it had: Automatic conflict detection like that old oblivion mod manager had, I had to launch Skyrim some odd 50+ times last night looking for the odd mod out finding out what mod was having a fit and why. (It was just crashing to desktop the moment the main menu loaded.)

Download this program. It will do set up your load order to minimize conflict. http://boss-developers.github.io/
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#60clo24Posted 11/3/2013 9:17:33 PM
I don't use mods......I think I've only ever used mods on counter strike