This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I the only PC gamer who doesn't use mods?

#61FeatherwindPosted 11/4/2013 3:18:23 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
WoW is an online only game, so uh...you can't mod it? Pokemon is a handheld console game, so the extent to mods are random character hacks (which, by the way, are quite popular).

WoW greatly benefits from addons that are user-created.

There are "true" mods for the Pokemon games such as the very good Blaze Black & Volt White and Blaze Black 2 & Volt White 2 mods. They remove all sorts of restrictions on the singleplayer and also give a much better and more balanced singleplayer experience. While you can still break the game in various ways battles can be very interesting unless you do something obviously lame like spam revives or grind a lot. Compared to the vanilla games which are very tedious unless you harshly limit yourself.

Iskander72 posted...
I don't understand the developer's vision crowd either. Bethesda's "vision" of skyrim seems to have been an under-developed mess that was almost unplayable. Modded skyrim has me closing in on 500 hours of playtime.

This. The aforementioned Pokemon mods greatly improve the singleplayer by simply not sticking to the arbitary and limiting design "philosophies". In the vanilla games you can't really use any tactic in a satisfying way unless you limit yourself to only the most ineffective and unusual Pokemon (like Shuckle). The enemies are very flat and one-sided as well. By simply giving the enemies more varied and effective rosters the combat becomes much more interesting and less tedious. All of the assets and AI are in the game but in order to keep the game kid/casual friendly the combat is extremely undertuned and deliberately unbalanced to the point where it is not enjoyable and you'll end up ignoring most of the mechanics.

Though perhaps playing the vanilla games first gives you a better idea of what mods you want to use. The TES games for example have a lot of conflicting mods for different tastes and knowing how things work might help you choose and better understand the changes the mods make.
---
pathological
#62sonic_man00Posted 11/7/2013 11:49:54 PM
Not the only, But there are little. I own mods for every game I got except Burnout Paradise.
---
PC > 360 > PS2 > 3DS > PSP > Wii
Windows 8/AMD Dual-Core E-3000/4 GB RAM/ATi Radeon HD 6310/320 GB HD
#63LostHisHardcorePosted 11/7/2013 11:55:53 PM
Bad ports aside I'm of the opinion that if the game isn't worth playing without mods it isn't worth playing at all.
---
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate!"
"I'm you, I'm your shadow!"