This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Little help?

#1WondrousRumblePosted 10/30/2013 6:36:59 PM
Hey, I'm new to pc gaming, but I really want to get into it. I don't really know much about specs, but I know that making a desktop is the way to go.

Problem is I don't have a laptop and I'm starting university soon. I need to get a laptop but I want to get one that can support games well. I don't need the highest of quality but I would like something that's above average at least.

Brands I've heard good things about are asus and alienware, but I figured I'd come here and ask the board who would have a good amount of knowledge on the subject.
---
Hey I'm Grump
#2VIP86Posted 10/30/2013 6:39:38 PM
I would stay away from Alienware. They are the Apple of the Windows laptops. You will pay more for almost the same things. Check out xoticpc and you can pick a laptop and customize it to your liking. Study about mobile graphics cards, as that is the driving factor in how the laptop is priced. You essentially want to look for something that has atleast a 750M.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#3WondrousRumble(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 6:45:01 PM
Thanks I'll do that. Most of the computer speak is foreign to me and an outside opinion is definitely appreciated
---
Hey I'm Grump
#4JudgmenlPosted 10/30/2013 6:45:34 PM
Depends on your major. Depending on what you're doing Macs aren't that bad when it comes to notebooks. I'm always fond of IBM/Levono having heard nothing but good things from their stuff.
---
http://i.imgur.com/sUtdyzN.png - Popularity =/= Quality.
http://i.imgur.com/0Awd55E.png - Opinions =/= Truth.
#5VIP86Posted 10/30/2013 6:47:24 PM
The only things that really matter are the graphics card, and if the laptop display is 1080p. Most of them already have an i7 and atleast 8gb of RAM. The harddrive will be average as well. However you can change that out and put in a SSD and use the harddrive as storage.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#6WondrousRumble(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 7:01:24 PM
Judgmenl posted...
Depends on your major. Depending on what you're doing Macs aren't that bad when it comes to notebooks. I'm always fond of IBM/Levono having heard nothing but good things from their stuff.

Majoring in professional communications. Kinda like journalism
---
Hey I'm Grump