This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

With $400, what's the best I can get? Only need a few parts.

#1SexCEmanPosted 10/30/2013 8:02:26 PM
I only need a CPU, GPU, and Mobo.

I was thinking of going with an FX-8320 or i3-4130 for the CPU, and between a Radeon 7870, 7950, R9 270x, or GTX760...depending on the price/rebate.

The only other option I had really considered was going i5 or i7 and using the integrated graphics until later and getting a GTX 770 after I save up for a bit.

Any other combinations that will get better overall performance? Going with a Pentium and GTX 770 would just bottleneck, right? Would getting one of the AMD A10 with integrated and then getting a GPU in the future just give me a lower performing processor with little benefit?
#2VIP86Posted 10/30/2013 8:05:48 PM
Get you an i5 and save up 350 for a 770 when you get a chance.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#3Kokuei05Posted 10/30/2013 8:05:52 PM
What's the specs for the PC you're dissecting?
---
Girls are scary.
#4KabtheMentatPosted 10/30/2013 8:07:53 PM(edited)
Do you have to buy it all at once, or can you buy some parts, save a bit, and buy the rest?

Cuz honestly, I'd blow it out in the CPU department first because those tend to last a lot longer than GPUs. If you got something like an i5-4670 and an accompanying motherboard...you'll probably hold on to that for a few years.

GPU, probably will switch that out every 18 months to 2 years.

Edit: BTW, newegg has a $20 off dealio for the i5-4670k right now.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#5SenkoyPosted 10/30/2013 8:41:55 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Do you have to buy it all at once, or can you buy some parts, save a bit, and buy the rest?

Cuz honestly, I'd blow it out in the CPU department first because those tend to last a lot longer than GPUs. If you got something like an i5-4670 and an accompanying motherboard...you'll probably hold on to that for a few years.

Pretty much this. Get a decent CPU and then save up for a decent card. You mentioned you might save up for a 770, that sounds like your best option.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#6SexCEman(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 10:50:36 PM(edited)
Kokuei05 posted...
What's the specs for the PC you're dissecting?

A lot better than what I'll end up with. But I was laid off a couple months ago so I decided to try to sell the best parts from my desktop and was able to sell for only $100 less (I had spent a little over $800) than what I had paid for them over a year before...so I was happy with that, they held their value well and I got some good deals. Now I'm taking half that money and putting it back into these parts.

We have two other computers at home though, one other mid-range gaming desktop and an older "gaming" laptop that is sufficient for most games at medium settings (it's a lower 1366x768 res display so it even handles BF3 at medium).
#7SexCEman(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 10:49:26 PM
Senkoy posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

Pretty much this. Get a decent CPU and then save up for a decent card. You mentioned you might save up for a 770, that sounds like your best option.

I can definitely save up a bit and wait. My wife has her computer that she wants me to play WoW with her on and I've just been playing on my laptop for the past couple months which gets old having a small display and low resolution coming from a higher end desktop before...and I had budgeted half of what I had spent before on computer parts (this $400) to put back into these lower-end parts.

So I really don't even need to get these parts at all, but it would just be nice to have. We're not currently tight on cash or anything, but I don't need the high-end anymore for the gaming I do either.

I'm sure getting a CPU now would be sufficient, then maybe in a few months or so I'll just get the card.
#8BogePosted 10/30/2013 11:28:59 PM
Get an EVGA video card for now, one that allows their Step Up program. Then in 90 days, you can upgrade it to something better.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#9EpicKingdom_Posted 10/30/2013 11:29:15 PM
lol only.
---
The PC gaming Master Race will never die out. We will continue to train, raise, and breed Master Race.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#10superstud69xPosted 10/30/2013 11:40:58 PM
Senkoy posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

This is what I did (except with a i7-3770k and a MSI 780). The integrated graphics weren't great, but they could play plenty of stuff on Medium usually, and the integrated graphics in the i5-4670k (HD 4600 I believe) is slightly better than the HD 4000.

And the HD 4600 should be able to run WoW on Medium/Low High settings at 1080p. With the HD 4000, I was able to play at Medium settings, with a steady 30 FPS.
---
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.