This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you consider yourself a "nerd"?

#31PhilOnDezPosted 10/31/2013 5:03:16 AM
FRo3tBLo0d posted...
hyjinx17 posted...
I'm a geek.

I know it's just semantics, but when I think "nerd" I think of people who are really smart, spend all their time studying and that's all they care about.

When I think Geek I think going to the midnight release of every game you want, collecting rare game/movie/anime merchandise, forgoing sleep when there is a game you just can't put down etc...

Again, I know this is just semantics and my own interpretation of the words.

Agreed, I would call myself a geek as well.

There was actually a scientific study to determine what being a 'nerd' or 'geek' meant. Hyjinx's definitions were actually pretty close to aspects that were attributed to their respective classifications. The end result was that there is a spectrum with much overlap, the biggest difference between the two ends of the scale was that nerds tend to pursue academic, or at least practical (such as building PCs, writing), interests while geeks tend to stick to consuming pop culture.

The biggest area of overlap though was scifi, basically 100% of anyone who fell onto the scale enjoyed scifi.

It's a hard call for me, honestly I feel pretty middle of the road so I have to say that I am.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#32MetalDialgaPosted 10/31/2013 5:08:21 AM
Yes, I watch a crap ton of Doctor Who and Star Trek. I play almost any video game regardless of genre. So I can consider myself as a nerd?
---
PSN: Varkarsh
Metroid fan all the way.
#33SlaynPosted 10/31/2013 5:08:45 AM
Relentless639 posted...
Slayn posted...
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/053/850/1276110164398.jpg

Let me explain. The fake nerd culture that arose these last 2 years is just a trend. Girls don't want the mighty nerd D. They still want the attractive jocks who now dress like the nerds. The gamer gurrl thing is also just a thing crave attention.

That said, I'm not that "nerd". I'm downright creepy, and I only care to actually know the ins and outs of a subject when it interests me. And now that "nerds" are trendy, I definitely don't want to be lumped with them idiots who wear thick glasses just as much I never wanted to be lumped with the betas who were actual nerds.
I'll just settle with being creepy. At least I keep some sort of originality and self-respect.

I had this ex gf who was really pissed off, because she said she was teased her whole life for being a nerd, and now it's "cool" and she absolutely hated it.

Girls don't want nerds, I agree, they want hipsters. Guys in skinny jeans and thick rimmed glasses who go to starbucks on their macbooks. They have an original NES with a Legend of Zelda cartridge sitting around their house on display for irony. No girl says "You have HOW many hours clocked in Skyrim? I want you inside me nao".
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#34SlyClone2kPosted 10/31/2013 5:14:35 AM
I'm on the geek nerd spectrum, but I'm growing out of it. Now some of the geek nerd stuff I do are just what people consider hobbies.
---
<insert signature here>
#35danger_brandonPosted 10/31/2013 5:51:37 AM
I don't dress it, I don't act it, and I don't really talk it unless you catch my talking heavy into FF or video games in general and maybe other tech stuff, movies, books and music. But I'm totally different than what I come off to be.
---
PSN: DangerBrandon
Last Platinum: Assassin's Creed: Revelations; Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIII-2; In Queue: God of War II
#36SaQu1BPosted 10/31/2013 5:55:13 AM
No.. but I like video games as a hobby
#37Lonestar2000Posted 10/31/2013 6:08:18 AM
Anyone who posts on GameFAQs is a nerd.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#38sefsefsefsefPosted 10/31/2013 6:12:48 AM
A cool guy called me a nerd once, so there's that.
#39biohazard1775Posted 10/31/2013 6:16:32 AM
This "geek culture" is cancerous.
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!
#40nazacuckooPosted 10/31/2013 6:34:28 AM
Ha, I don't think so.

I'm not that good with computers, I'm fairly athletic and I practice in martial arts and fight competetively. I do play video games, but only for a short time and not every day. I'm popular enough, I mean, I'm not like teenage boy band popular, but I have my own share of fans. I'm also closely related to some famous people so I guess that helps.
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag: NazaCageRatt
The official Stalfos of the "A link to the Past 3DS" board.