This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you consider yourself a "nerd"?

#71Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 12:12:12 PM(edited)
chaoscontrol325 posted...
I guess I'd have to be. Have been gaming since I was a teeny tiny kid. I remembered all the codes-- some of which I still remember to this day-- and all my friends are gamers. It's basically all I talk about. Just liking games is not reason enough to be a nerd, but being this invested in something and knowing this much about it has got to mean something.

I remember the code to Mike Tyson by sound, not the actual numbers.

According to the actual definition of Nerd:

1. a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
2. an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

I do not fit. I'm definitely not number 1. I'm not quite number 2 because I'm not "obsessed" with any particular hobby.

I've worked in game stores. If you're ever wondering if you really are a "nerd", hang out in a game store like Gamestop or a trading card game shop. You'll see what a real nerd is. No, I'm definitely not a "nerd" the way a "nerd" should still be described.

Yes, I am a nerd in the new trendy cool nerd way, but that way is completely wrong.

No, I do not consider myself a nerd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tvy_Pbe5NA

Funny video.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#72Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 12:13:57 PM
KOTRwhoops posted...
DARQ MX posted...
You should of put "inner" nerd. Basically has the inside of a nerd but no appearance of an actual nerd but does like nerd things like would wear a skyrim shirt etc.

This sums me up really.

That's why I'm asking if YOU consider YOURSELF a nerd. Others perceive you how they will, and to some, I'm sure we're all nerds. I'm just wondering if you consider yourself a nerd. Don't go by what others say or think.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#73HighOnPhazonPosted 10/31/2013 12:40:47 PM
No poll option for neck beard. Poll is invalid.
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#74StealthfishWRXPosted 10/31/2013 12:51:31 PM
I don't look like a nerd sometimes, but when I walk down the street and see a falling leaf from a tree and start to think at what velocity and how the rate of acceleration is changing for the leaf, I think I'm a nerd or more like "being nerdy." I don't know, that's my 2 cents.
#75BuburibonPosted 10/31/2013 1:03:55 PM
I most certainly do, and I would consider any "cerebral" individuals who are quite seriously into video games, sci-fi, playing a musical instrument, reading, etc., to be a nerd, no matter whether they look like fitness models or not.
---
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB | TITAN
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23
#76nobleisthynamePosted 10/31/2013 1:40:11 PM(edited)
I define myself as a nerd.

I have a gaming computer I put together myself and I run Linux on all of my machines. I'm in my school's Computer Science Honor Society (UPE) and Math Honor Society (PME). I'm also the treasurer of my school's ACM club (computer club) as well as working as IT support for students.

I'm also fairly geeky which I define as others have defined it already in this topic. I love to read and my favorite genres are fantasy/sci-fi. I'm also a big fan of stereotypically geeky shows like Doctor Who, Futurama, Community, Star Trek, The IT Crowd, etc. Recently I've been getting into comic books and I've really enjoyed what I've read so far. Oh, and and I'm a pretty big gamer of course.

That said, I have a girlfriend and decent social skills despite being an introvert. My fashion sense sucks but my girlfriend takes care of that for me. I lift weights and run to keep myself in shape (though even that I kinda get nerdy about, I follow the Starting Strength/Mad Cow/etc. routines rather than the typical bro workouts).
---
http://i.imgur.com/q9ZP3.jpg http://i.imgur.com/rBKxd.gif
#77torres007Posted 10/31/2013 1:37:30 PM
I was always "the buff nerd" in high school because I was a wrestler/video game nerd. I love working out and I love my video games.
---
Torres man get a sig.
#78WyzeGyePosted 10/31/2013 2:07:32 PM
sortajan posted...
WyzeGye posted...
Easily, I've got the scars, science Fair ribbons, and bully fight stories to prove it.

Eventually I learned if you fight back once it usually stops if you take it a little too far.

Grade 5 I snapped and mashed the bastards face in mud. Then I moved so I had a new bully, I put up with it for a few months, until I snapped and smashed the guy across the face with my social studies text book. Got expelled for that one. New school across town new bully, he got a combination lock to the dome. Then I moved out to BC. Then suddenly I was cool. It was the weirdest thing.

you're so hardcore

Your opinion matters to me
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/0eSfcUzGTdk
#79Kosba_2142Posted 10/31/2013 3:08:29 PM
Being a nerd is really a mindset. If you think you're a nerd, then you are. If you think you're not, then you aren't. Sure we love to judge others on if they are or aren't, but eh.. who cares what others think to that extent?
---
CATS. That's about it honestly...
#80JKatarnPosted 10/31/2013 4:08:44 PM
When you consider that all the great thinkers/inventors throughout history....Newton, Edison, Einstein etc etc. would have been considered nerds and/or radicals in their day, it's badge of honor. Every modern comfort and convenience, your car, your computer, your iPhone, heating systems, computer networks, television, satellite etc. was conceived of/built by nerds....fiercely intelligent people with a keen interest in a certain field/sub-field of study. Without the thinkers, those individuals that thought of things besides fighting, screwing and eating, civilization as we know it would not exist. This is of course going by the definition of nerd as someone who is intelligent and/or very interested in a certain area of knowledge vs. someone that has interests outside of the accepted areas of sports, boobs, cars and beer.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES