This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

... Back to Windows

#11SinisterSlayPosted 10/31/2013 10:21:16 AM
arleas posted...
It's probably based on Ubuntu

Considering that was the version of linux they were pushing when they tried to get people to try out steam on linux, you're probably right... Actually, the version they specifically recommended barely worked at all for me and I wound up going with the LTS version instead since that seemed a bit more stable.

Hopefully Valve will crack open the ubuntu source code and start working on stability and visual consistency.

Like most Linux distros, Ubuntu has a lot of "too many hands in the pot".
And linux programs are often horrible, some requiring extra programs just to make the original function.

Example:
Wine, has playonlinux to make wine work. But playonlinux doesn't work either, try searching and you get file not found errors because apparently they didn't bother testing it?
View the help? Not on your life, nearly every program that you need help with will give a help file missing error.

All the materials to make a good system are there, Valve just needs to put them together properly.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#12steveboblarryPosted 10/31/2013 5:16:08 PM
steveboblarry posted...
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

WTF why would that get moderated, I swear the mods are a bunch of monkeys behind a computer screen
---
What Miley Cyrus did was not twerking, it was windshield wiping
#13MagnemightPosted 10/31/2013 5:41:44 PM
steveboblarry posted...
steveboblarry posted...

---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against the Shy Guys!
Download the demo (offsite): http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=29243
#14Digital StormPosted 10/31/2013 5:44:34 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
arleas posted...
Let's hope that SteamOS is more stable than that.

Just as an example, when I run red alert under wine. When the game closes, the system forgets what resolution and refresh rates my computer can do. Restarting the X session doesn't help. You have to reboot the computer for it to suddenly figure out that I can in fact exceed 640 x 480 resolution.

That "feature" has been around for almost five years now.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#15wizardmonPosted 10/31/2013 6:30:12 PM
arleas posted...

I've got high hopes considering Valve's roots are from the operating system industry.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#16JudgmenlPosted 10/31/2013 6:33:20 PM
Ubuntu is god awful and it has been since like 8.10.
---
http://i.imgur.com/sUtdyzN.png - Popularity =/= Quality.
http://i.imgur.com/0Awd55E.png - Opinions =/= Truth.
#17kobalobasileusPosted 10/31/2013 7:13:13 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
arleas posted...

It's probably based on Ubuntu, so probably not. Based on that they first developed steam for linux using Ubuntu as a base.

Ubuntu is crazy unstable though, especially if a Wine program has problems. Your basically rebooting if that happens.

Just as an example, when I run red alert under wine. When the game closes, the system forgets what resolution and refresh rates my computer can do. Restarting the X session doesn't help. You have to reboot the computer for it to suddenly figure out that I can in fact exceed 640 x 480 resolution.

Wow... that sounds... awesome. And totally expected.

If I ever get a Steam Machine, it will probably get a nice copy of Windows installed on it.
#18Rexdragon125(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 12:43:04 PM
Not faulty hardware, as I can game for hours without a problem on Windows. Here's what happened:

- Install Ubuntu
- Hard drive thrashing hard at the desktop, can't do anything. Okay, maybe it's still doing some setup?
- Half an hour later, drive is still thrashing. Try to open some programs, and most of them crap themselves on startup. I didn't even do anything!
#19SinisterSlayPosted 11/4/2013 12:45:11 PM
Rexdragon125 posted...
Not faulty hardware, as I can game for hours without a problem on Windows. Here's what happened:

- Install Ubuntu
- Hard drive thrashing hard at the desktop, can't do anything. Okay, maybe it's still doing some setup?
- Half an hour later, drive is still thrashing. Try to open some programs, and most of them crap themselves on startup. I didn't even do anything!

I've had odd issues from Linux installs.

A few times it's been do to corrupt CD burns. But you have no idea until you try installing and then have odd glitches.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence