This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone try typing of the dead overkill on PC?

#1sonicteam2k1Posted 10/31/2013 7:14:22 AM
How is the non keyboard mode? Just wanted to know. How do you play it in PS3 mode or whatever it's called (I guess just normal House of the Dead: Overkill)

I'm thinking about picking it up.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#2btaylorstlPosted 10/31/2013 7:29:29 AM
I bought it exclusively for the typing mode, which I played through in a couple sittings yesterday and enjoyed immensely. Worth the $10 for that alone. I haven't played the normal mode yet, but it looks like it's exactly the same as the PS3 version in terms of content, including all the unlockable stuff, etc. I don't know how much time I'd spend with that mode without having the light gun substitute (Wii remote/Move), but it seems like it should control decently enough with the mouse. It also has native 360 controller support, but I can't imagine anyone would want to use that unless they absolutely have to. I'll probably give both of those control modes a spin on my lunch break today and see how it is.

I did have a crash once, and the game forces to 720p max in game even if you set 1080p (only the menus seem to actually be affected by the resolution setting), but for the most part it's a nice port. You might want to be a bit wary if you have no interest in the Typing mode. But I think it's well worth the current asking price.
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/29/11
#3Treason686Posted 10/31/2013 7:36:03 AM
btaylor:

Is the dialog as bad as the Dreamcast version? If so, I'm in.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#4sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 7:51:13 AM
Treason686 posted...
btaylor:

Is the dialog as bad as the Dreamcast version? If so, I'm in.

it's nothing like the dreamcast version. it's great but it's over the top. the black dude drops more F bombs than Sam L. It's awesome (I have it on the Wii)

I want it for the typing mode too because I have the Wii version but I just want to know how it plays in normal mode.

Also you think the Wiimote and sensor bar would work with this game?
---
See The Game Collection
#5btaylorstlPosted 10/31/2013 7:54:54 AM
The dialogue is definitely ridiculous, but not quite in the same way as the old HOTD games. The voice actor for G is pretty clearly intentionally bad in delivery as kind of a throwback, but the whole thing is just a big spoof on grindhouse horror. It's not terrible for what it is, but I definitely felt like skipping the cutscenes pretty quickly since I've seen it all twice now on Wii and PS3.

I can't see why the Wii remote and sensor bar wouldn't work as long as it's simulating a mouse. I don't know how effective it will be compared to the real thing, since I haven't done that, but since the game does have mouse controls, it'd probably work reasonably well that way.
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/29/11
#6sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 8:00:36 AM
btaylorstl posted...
The dialogue is definitely ridiculous, but not quite in the same way as the old HOTD games. The voice actor for G is pretty clearly intentionally bad in delivery as kind of a throwback, but the whole thing is just a big spoof on grindhouse horror. It's not terrible for what it is, but I definitely felt like skipping the cutscenes pretty quickly since I've seen it all twice now on Wii and PS3.

I can't see why the Wii remote and sensor bar wouldn't work as long as it's simulating a mouse. I don't know how effective it will be compared to the real thing, since I haven't done that, but since the game does have mouse controls, it'd probably work reasonably well that way.

well I guess it would be better than playing with a controller if I didn't feel like using the keyboard. but the keyboard is the highlight of this version IMO.
---
See The Game Collection
#7AnatomyHorrorPosted 10/31/2013 8:25:40 AM(edited)
It's awesome. Works great with the mouse for the other mode. I think the controls are left click shoot, right click grenade, middle button reload, wheel for weapon switching. You can also use "R" for reload.
#8JKatarnPosted 10/31/2013 8:39:22 AM
Why would you want to seriously hamstring yourself by playing a game called "The Typing of the Dead Overkill" with a controller?
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#9BuburibonPosted 10/31/2013 8:44:37 AM
btaylorstl posted...
the game forces to 720p max in game even if you set 1080p (only the menus seem to actually be affected by the resolution setting), but for the most part it's a nice port. You might want to be a bit wary if you have no interest in the Typing mode. But I think it's well worth the current asking price.

Completely agree. My only issue with the game is the extremely aliased 720p internal resolution, but other than that it's great fun and well worth the $8 on GMG.
---
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB | TITAN
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23
#10BuburibonPosted 10/31/2013 8:49:55 AM
JKatarn posted...
Why would you want to seriously hamstring yourself by playing a game called "The Typing of the Dead Overkill" with a controller?

Because the portion of the game called "The House of the Dead Overkill" is meant to be played with a controller/mouse/lightgun.
---
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB | TITAN
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23