This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Outlast or Amnesia Machine for Pigs?

#1ProtofreakPosted 10/31/2013 8:29:15 AM
Hey guys which of these should I get if only getting one and want the scariest? Also how much like the first amnesia is the second one? thanks!
#2Protofreak(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 8:33:29 AM
Also is the story from Machine for Pigs related to the story from the first?
#3Logical_OnePosted 10/31/2013 8:37:24 AM
Story is unrelated.

Neither is really scary IMO.

AMFP is REALLY different from the original, however, the story was mildly entertaining. However, be warned--that's all there is. It's nowhere near as good as the original.

Outlast was good. That's as far as I'll go. The jump scares were a little annoying especially because the were predictable but the atmosphere was great. The reason I give an OK at best is because the chases got rather tedious near the end.

Just IMO, of course.
---
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3
#4ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/31/2013 8:39:00 AM
AMFP is a terrible game made by a different developer. It's a pretentious heap of non-scary crap.
#5Kokuei05Posted 10/31/2013 8:51:54 AM
Outlast is full of jump scares that are really obvious. You have to shimmy across a ledge right beside a dark cell? Guess what happens. Oh is that a dead guy in a wheel chair? Guess what happens here too....

A Machine for Pigs is really creepy and scary for about 2 hours. Then you realize how few enemies there are. There are a lot of flickering lights which don't mean anything. They just do it for no reason except to make you hesitate from +forward-ing through the whole game.
---
Girls are scary.
#6Protofreak(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 8:53:55 AM
Ok well is there a better horror game in the steam sale that you guys would recommend instead of one of these?
#7BuburibonPosted 10/31/2013 8:56:03 AM
The Penumbra games if you haven't played them yet.
---
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB | TITAN
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23
#8ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/31/2013 8:56:39 AM
Not really. Most horror games aren't really all that good or scary.

I would recommend Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, if you don't mind patching the game with unofficial patches. It has some scary parts in it and it's a fantastic RPG. It's just really buggy and needs some fixes.
#9Dark_SpiretPosted 10/31/2013 9:42:35 AM
i woudltn say nether are scary, but then thats generally pretty subjective. Outlast will get your heart pumping more, but it relys heavily on jump scares and after the first hour or so dives into MASSIVE repetition. You start to see things coming and the rest of the game with its awful story isnt enough to keep it going. It does have more gameplay though.

AMfP is pretty much the apposite. It focuses more on subtle "scares" and atmospheric ques. It doesnt really get your heart going, but it provides a constant sense of eeriness to it. Its world, story and writing is MUCH more interesting. Its biggest "problem" and a deal breaker for some is that is basically a little more involved Dear Esther. you walk down hallways and occasionally flip a switch or hide from an enemy. 90% of it will be walking down a hallway (albeit a compelling hallway) and listening/reading the story. Despite it being very different from the first Amnesia, penumbra or outlast i still enjoyed it, but you need to go into knowing what type of game it is.
---
Currently playing: Batman: Arkham Origins - Resident Evil 4 - Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
#10Benjamin_ButtonPosted 10/31/2013 10:33:56 AM
OUTLAST.
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage