This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do PC gamers have such a problem with people who don't build their own PC?

#1TehPwnzererPosted 10/31/2013 11:24:43 AM
I mean how is paying someone to do it any different than paying someone to make your pizza, or build your house, or make your sandwiches, or make your coffee, or build your bedframe, or knit your clothing, or grow your food, or anything else you buy off the shelf? You could do all of that yourself, and for the longest time prior to the industrial revolution, we did.

So why is it that this specific sector has so many people looking down on those that buy prebuilts off the store shelf? Because they aren't getting the quality parts they could be getting for cheaper? Well, neither are you getting a sturdy pre-built house today like you would be getting if you built it yourself back in the 1800's. Nor are you getting the same quality food from the grocery store compared to growing it freshly from your own garden like we've been doing since the dawn of civilization. Nor are you getting a quality bedframe that isn't held together with meager screws like you would if you built one from wood.

Everything is made cheaper, and sold at a premium for the sake of saving you the time to do it yourself. That's where people make their profit. That's what capitalism was founded on. If we extended this negative attitude towards everything that we could be doing ourselves, such as out own plumbing, own carpentry, own construction and never paid anyone else to do it for us, the economy would collapse, no one would be getting paid, and money would essentially become obsolete, because everyone would be doing everything themselves.
#2OldSorrowPosted 10/31/2013 11:25:52 AM
say nor one more time
---
If you don't use Throwback Mode for a full week while logged in, you will lose access.
#3SteamsterPosted 10/31/2013 11:28:24 AM
Most PC gamers don't have a problem with that.

They just like to tell people that think building a PC is super difficult that it's really not that difficult.

It's like buying furniture from IKEA or wherever and paying someone $150 to insert rod A into slot A and so on. Might as well tell the person that you don't need a college education to do that.
#4Ch3wyPosted 10/31/2013 11:31:06 AM
Most are just trying to save them money but there are plenty of people who can't seem to grasp that someone doesn't want to take the risks or the time that it can take to build their own.

I hate it when people claim it only takes an hour or two, especially when they're talking to a beginner. It's like **** you man, it took me an hour to put in a new hard drive.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#5DerPancakePosted 10/31/2013 11:31:30 AM
A pizza is going to take me 1 hour to make ,for what? just a few minutes to eat it? While a Pc will give you months of entertainment...also to build a house you need extensive knowledge and most of the time you need to hire professional help while building a PC all you need to do is watch a 1 hour video and bam you know how to build one.
---
EVGA
#6protools1983Posted 10/31/2013 11:34:42 AM
Steamster posted...
Most PC gamers don't have a problem with that.

They just like to tell people that think building a PC is super difficult that it's really not that difficult.

It's like buying furniture from IKEA or wherever and paying someone $150 to insert rod A into slot A and so on. Might as well tell the person that you don't need a college education to do that.

Quite the opposite actually. I often see users posting about tips and guides on building a PC. Also links to sales and and other items. Your generalization is incorrect. I get the most help from the PC board than any other board on this site.
---
Stand up for consumer rights! Vote with your dollar! Boycott Xbox One!!!
#7KidInTheHallPosted 10/31/2013 11:38:01 AM
OldSorrow posted...
say nor one more time

He dares ya, he double dares ya mother f***er , say nor one more god damn time!
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#8TehPwnzerer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 11:43:19 AM
DerPancake posted...
A pizza is going to take me 1 hour to make ,for what? just a few minutes to eat it? While a Pc will give you months of entertainment...also to build a house you need extensive knowledge and most of the time you need to hire professional help while building a PC all you need to do is watch a 1 hour video and bam you know how to build one.

You can watch any video tutorial on anything and know how to do it by the end. All food can take an hour to make. Most food that isn't cereal, toast, or raw vegetables take several hours to make. A proper meal does not happen in a few minutes, yet consuming can. Does that mean we should all eat out on a nightly basis and pay twice/thrice the price plus tips for what it costs at the grocery store?
#9gikosPosted 10/31/2013 11:49:41 AM
he doesn't have to KidInTheHall
you did it for him
godd bye man you were.....we don't each other do we >_>
---
"You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty." - Sacha Guitry (1885-1957)
#10TehPwnzerer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 11:55:56 AM
Ch3wy posted...
Most are just trying to save them money but there are plenty of people who can't seem to grasp that someone doesn't want to take the risks or the time that it can take to build their own.

I hate it when people claim it only takes an hour or two, especially when they're talking to a beginner. It's like **** you man, it took me an hour to put in a new hard drive.

Precisely. Geek squad charges an arm and a leg to set up a home theater system, but to those who don't know how to do it, it's worth it. You can spend all the time in the world telling people all they need to do is connect A to B at the back of their tv, but to someone that has never done it before, and doesn't want to spend more time figuring it out than someone that knows what they're doing would, they just want it done and never have to worry about it again. Doesn't matter how easy it may seem to a seasoned PC builder, it's going to be a nightmare for someone that has never done it. And spending the kind of money a proper PC costs and saving an extra hundred bucks for the service charge doing it themselves, just does not sound very enticing when they could hire a professional to do it and make sure it's working to its full potential. The same way we pay professionals in every other field to do things for us to make sure it's done proper.