This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any Good Space Sim/Exploration games?

#1JtenkaPosted 10/31/2013 11:06:18 AM
I don't really know where to post this, sorry if this is the wrong place :/

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 which is far from a gaming laptop but i can play Morrowind and Sim city. I do really enjoy the sims, and also Civilisation games.

I've been looking into getting a good space exploration or sim style game on it. Does anybody have any ideas? Preferably not with mind blowing graphics as my Laptop will likely die from shock.

I don't mind a low graphic but in depth system, Trading, mining, discovering other civilisations ect. I don't mind if it doesn't really have any sort of first person combat as im more looking for the expand and explore feature with upgrades, something I can really lose some hours into.

Any help with suggestions would be awesome :)
---
GT - Jtenka
#2arleasPosted 10/31/2013 11:12:11 AM
I haven't really gotten into it myself, but X3 will probably be the first thing suggested to you (if it hasn't been already posted by the time I finish this post).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2820/

Also, keep in mind that coming soon (but sadly not available yet) will be Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen... so you have a lot to look forward to.
---
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/Im803Gk.gif
#3Jtenka(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 11:30:11 AM
It looks AMAZING. However.. My Laptop failed the minimum spec, on the graphics card.

Video Card
Minimum: 256 MB 3D DirectX 9 Compatible video card (not onboard) with Pixel Shader 1.1 support

You Have: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

-_-'

Heart-breaking lol, I could tell by the screen shots though that it was maybe a bit much for this laptop.
---
GT - Jtenka
#4MaKhaosPosted 10/31/2013 11:33:15 AM
http://www.gog.com/game/freespace_2

Maybe this? Tons of stuff on gog.
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
#5Jtenka(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 11:43:24 AM
Do you know if I could run FreeSpace2 on that laptop? Sorry im not that good with system requirements. :/
---
GT - Jtenka
#6StormKMDPosted 10/31/2013 11:46:29 AM
Yeah it'd probably play. Also, check out FTL: Faster Than Light.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#7KillerTrufflePosted 10/31/2013 12:18:37 PM
Freespace 2 was released in 1999. It's a relatively safe bet you can run it. :P

X3 might struggle a bit on integrated video, but that's definitely the sort of game you're looking for. To a lesser extent, you can also check out Freelancer. It's a slightly more "arcadey" game similar to X3, but not quite as deep. Still a solid game tho.

Breaking away from action sims to strategy, Galactic Civilizations 2 is an excellent turn-based space 4x game where you build and manage entire fleets, do loads of research, colonize new planets, build space stations, design your own spaceships, and use diplomacy, culture, or military power to conquer the galaxy basically.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#8KabtheMentatPosted 10/31/2013 12:21:24 PM
Might try Space Rangers. It's a mash up of all sorts of games, but one of the parts to it is the sand box RPG nature of it.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#9wizardmonPosted 10/31/2013 12:24:04 PM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
X3 might struggle a bit on integrated video

It'd struggle just to render the main menu with nothing going on.

It'd grind to a halt at light gameplay, and lategame would be unplayable as fleet fights tend to push even the higher end machines into the sub 20 FPS mark.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#10Golden_GonadsPosted 10/31/2013 1:13:53 PM
In many ways I preferred X2: The Threat to any of the X3's... It's also (slightly) easier to get into in that there are far less things to get to grips with.

Actually, if you played through the series in order, the learning curve isn't that steep, but X: Beyond the Frontier has several design choices that will drive almost anyone insane at the obtuseness of them.