This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which linux distro should populate my virtual lab?

#1silveryounglinkPosted 10/31/2013 1:59:03 PM
My windows VM choked on an update and I don't feel like re installing, so I need some hosts to populate my virtual lab, mainly for testing a firewall. I already have an Ubuntu server and want something different for the desktops. Before all the arch people come rushing in, that's not going to cut it, I don't want to fuss around with a bare bones installation, I just want to get up and go in a fairly short time.

I'm not necessarily asking what's BEST here, just what your favorite desktop Linux distro is besides Ubuntu.
#2Digital StormPosted 10/31/2013 2:01:49 PM
My favourite is Gentoo but I'm installing Arch on my spankin new server.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#3ChetyrePosted 10/31/2013 2:03:16 PM
Ubuntu is horrible. Arch forever!

Yes, I read your post.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#4silveryounglink(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 2:31:05 PM
Chetyre posted...

Yes, I read your post.

What's the appeal? I always thought of Arch as something for developers or people who have a specific goal in mind. Is it really that popular amongst people who just want a non bloated desktop?
#5ECOsvaldoPosted 10/31/2013 2:33:34 PM
I'm using Linux Mint at the moment.
---
PSN ID: ecosvaldo | 3DS Friend Code: 2707-1633-0103 | PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ABH
#6Digital StormPosted 10/31/2013 2:35:50 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7ChetyrePosted 10/31/2013 2:50:17 PM
silveryounglink posted...
Chetyre posted...

Yes, I read your post.

What's the appeal? I always thought of Arch as something for developers or people who have a specific goal in mind. Is it really that popular amongst people who just want a non bloated desktop?

I wanted both a non-bloated desktop (laptop) and had a specific goal in mind (gaming pc with vga passthrough). It is perfect for all uses.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#8NicoC96Posted 10/31/2013 3:19:01 PM
Probably Mint or something similar. Elementary OS is nice, but probably not fit for this kind of thing.
#9Orestes417Posted 10/31/2013 3:20:59 PM
I'm an Arch guy personally, but for generic VMs I'd probably go Debian or maybe a RHEL derivative.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#10a_Wizards_BakerPosted 10/31/2013 3:52:05 PM
I like Mint.