This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which linux distro should populate my virtual lab?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Which linux distro should populate my virtual lab?
3 years ago#1
My windows VM choked on an update and I don't feel like re installing, so I need some hosts to populate my virtual lab, mainly for testing a firewall. I already have an Ubuntu server and want something different for the desktops. Before all the arch people come rushing in, that's not going to cut it, I don't want to fuss around with a bare bones installation, I just want to get up and go in a fairly short time.

I'm not necessarily asking what's BEST here, just what your favorite desktop Linux distro is besides Ubuntu.
3 years ago#2
My favourite is Gentoo but I'm installing Arch on my spankin new server.
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
3 years ago#3
Ubuntu is horrible. Arch forever!

Yes, I read your post.
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
3 years ago#4
Chetyre posted...

Yes, I read your post.

What's the appeal? I always thought of Arch as something for developers or people who have a specific goal in mind. Is it really that popular amongst people who just want a non bloated desktop?
3 years ago#5
I'm using Linux Mint at the moment.
PSN ID: ecosvaldo | 3DS Friend Code: 2707-1633-0103 | PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ABH
(message deleted)
3 years ago#7
silveryounglink posted...
Chetyre posted...

Yes, I read your post.

What's the appeal? I always thought of Arch as something for developers or people who have a specific goal in mind. Is it really that popular amongst people who just want a non bloated desktop?

I wanted both a non-bloated desktop (laptop) and had a specific goal in mind (gaming pc with vga passthrough). It is perfect for all uses.
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
3 years ago#8
Probably Mint or something similar. Elementary OS is nice, but probably not fit for this kind of thing.
3 years ago#9
I'm an Arch guy personally, but for generic VMs I'd probably go Debian or maybe a RHEL derivative.
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
3 years ago#10
I like Mint.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Which linux distro should populate my virtual lab?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived