This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I need help installing an OS on my new computer with a USB drive

#1Rigby_RaccoonPosted 10/31/2013 2:59:47 PM
My new computer won't have any OS installed on it, just BIOS, and I want to run/install an OS like some form of Linux from a USB drive instead of installing via DVD.

1. Is this even possible? I'm having a hell of a time finding any FAQs/tutorials that talk about doing this for a new computer.

2. Which OS would be best for me? I'm looking for something with high gaming compatibility (I don't wanna be buying games then finding out they're just not compatible with the OS -_-).

I assume there's no legal way to obtain a Windows OS and then get it on a USB drive, and even if you could do that (legally or otherwise), it wouldn't work right.
---
http://i.imgur.com/SrNgux6.png
#2ChetyrePosted 10/31/2013 3:07:20 PM
Just google any live usb creator (I use yumi) and set your computer to boot from the usb drive. As far as I know, steam only officially supports ubuntu, so get that.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#3NicoC96Posted 10/31/2013 3:43:04 PM
Chetyre posted...
Just google any live usb creator (I use yumi) and set your computer to boot from the usb drive. As far as I know, steam only officially supports ubuntu, so get that.

Anything based on Ubuntu works with Steam. When I was using Elementary OS, it worked fine.

As far as making the bootable flash drive, see if the distro has an install guide. Those typically have a section about making a bootable USB along with what they recommend you make it with. If you are running purely off the USB drive, there are distros made for that.
#4TreGoodaPosted 10/31/2013 3:47:20 PM
Rigby_Raccoon posted...
My new computer won't have any OS installed on it, just BIOS, and I want to run/install an OS like some form of Linux from a USB drive instead of installing via DVD.

1. Is this even possible? I'm having a hell of a time finding any FAQs/tutorials that talk about doing this for a new computer.

2. Which OS would be best for me? I'm looking for something with high gaming compatibility (I don't wanna be buying games then finding out they're just not compatible with the OS -_-).

I assume there's no legal way to obtain a Windows OS and then get it on a USB drive, and even if you could do that (legally or otherwise), it wouldn't work right.

You can put windows on a usb drive. I have to do it for work upgrading netbooks to windows 7 professional (they don't have optical drives). Microsoft released a program to do it, it's super easy.

All you have to do is put your usb to boot first in your BIOS, then restart the computer. It will boot the install from the flashdrive and you'll be good to go.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#5ZalteraPosted 10/31/2013 3:49:32 PM

You can get 7 from Digitalriver legally.
---
Why is it that he can hit a 3rd baseman on a frozen rope from 300 feet away, but he can't hit a 12 foot tall catcher from 60 feet 6 inches away?
-Awesomeo_4000
#6Rigby_Raccoon(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 3:56:11 PM
TreGooda posted...
You can put windows on a usb drive. I have to do it for work upgrading netbooks to windows 7 professional (they don't have optical drives). Microsoft released a program to do it, it's super easy.

All you have to do is put your usb to boot first in your BIOS, then restart the computer. It will boot the install from the flashdrive and you'll be good to go.

I found that and tried it, but it wouldn't recognize my any USB drive I tried to use :(

Unfortunately I bought the ISO legally from their store to try to do it

I'll do like other people have suggested to install Ubuntu then I'll mount the Win 7 ISO and install that
---
#7DragnfyrPosted 10/31/2013 4:04:58 PM
Rigby_Raccoon posted...
Unfortunately I bought the ISO legally from their store to try to do it

What kind of USB do you have? It could be a problem with your USB because the Windows 7 ISO-USB tool definitely works.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
#8Rigby_Raccoon(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 4:16:02 PM
I tried several different USB drives, it wouldn't recognize any of them.
---
#9TreGoodaPosted 10/31/2013 4:55:27 PM
Rigby_Raccoon posted...

What won't recognize them? The computer?
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#10HydroCannabinolPosted 10/31/2013 4:59:19 PM
Rigby_Raccoon posted...

You are doing it wrong. Rofl
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil