This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does anybody use a wireless switch/range extender? or know about them?

#1Jedthehead91Posted 10/31/2013 3:16:38 PM
my room is over 40 meters from our router so the signal is extremely weak and i want to be able to play on my 3DS and Vita online, (my pc and consoles are connected with a ethernet cable) i do get a signal but its extremely low and no device can get connected, do wireless switch/range extenders get the signal from the router/modem signal wirelessly or can wireless switches create a signal with a ethernet cable from the router so if i was sitting 5 meters from it the signal would be virtually 100%? i dont know much about wireless switches if it boosts the signal wirelessly it has to boost a signal strength of 5-10% from my room so im not sure if that is sufficient. Sorry for not making much sense in my question im not very tech savvy especially when it comes to networking. I hope someone will understand me.

Thanks in advance.
---
Noregs menn! dansio vel i stillum, stilli tykkum allar riddarar, Noregs menn! dansio vel i stillum
#2ChetyrePosted 10/31/2013 3:23:58 PM
I'm not sure I understand completely (learn2paragraph), but you can usually connect an extender by both wireless or wired methods. You'll need to be more specific...
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#3TreGoodaPosted 10/31/2013 3:54:44 PM
You can do it wirelessly with a repeater or another router you configure to be a repeater (will take some networking knowledge).
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#4Jedthehead91(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 4:58:09 PM
Sorry for not being clear, my room is 40 meters away from our router, 2 far for any wireless device. My consoles and PC are connected wired with a non wireless netgear switch so that itself is not an issue.

I want to play on my 3DS and vita online without having to stay downstairs, in my room. I want to know if wireless routers/range extenders/repeaters or whatever they are called boost the signal from the router, or do they give off their own signal via a ethernet cable from the router to the switch? im going to replace my non wireless switch with a wireless switch for my handheld devices but i still want it to have ethernet ports for my PC and consoles.

I fear that because my routers in my room is to faint for any devices to connect, i dont want to get a switch that cannot connect to it wirelessly.
---
Noregs menn! dansio vel i stillum, stilli tykkum allar riddarar, Noregs menn! dansio vel i stillum
#5TreGoodaPosted 10/31/2013 5:03:16 PM
Jedthehead91 posted...
Sorry for not being clear, my room is 40 meters away from our router, 2 far for any wireless device. My consoles and PC are connected wired with a non wireless netgear switch so that itself is not an issue.

I want to play on my 3DS and vita online without having to stay downstairs, in my room. I want to know if wireless routers/range extenders/repeaters or whatever they are called boost the signal from the router, or do they give off their own signal via a ethernet cable from the router to the switch? im going to replace my non wireless switch with a wireless switch for my handheld devices but i still want it to have ethernet ports for my PC and consoles.

I fear that because my routers in my room is to faint for any devices to connect, i dont want to get a switch that cannot connect to it wirelessly.

You can do it either way. If you run a wire you can hook up another wireless router and extend your signal from where the new router connects. A repeater is a device that is a wireless extender on your network. You can set up one of these with a wireless router or just buy a device that does it out of the box.
---
#6SampsonMPosted 10/31/2013 5:12:11 PM
How old is your router?

You can screw around with range extenders and stuff, but most of them suck. If your router is a few years old, I'd just go buy a new one. If you get one in the $100-150 range, some of they have amazing signal range. I have an Apple Airport Extreme ($200) in the basement of a 5000 square foot house and it works well pretty much throughout the entire house.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#7TreGoodaPosted 10/31/2013 5:15:25 PM(edited)
SampsonM posted...
How old is your router?

You can screw around with range extenders and stuff, but most of them suck. If your router is a few years old, I'd just go buy a new one. If you get one in the $100-150 range, some of they have amazing signal range. I have an Apple Airport Extreme ($200) in the basement of a 5000 square foot house and it works well pretty much throughout the entire house.

Damn, your house is huge.

Does it look like this?

http://www.theeverettcompany.com/images/EstatesandMansions/T2249070/front%20house.jpg

---