This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just downloaded Windows 8.1 yesterday and it's causing a lot of problems

#1O_Town_RulezPosted 10/31/2013 6:43:39 PM
It's making my computer reboot whenever I'm doing something (Video editing, watching YouTube, etc). It also has a "Winpk Filter is not installed" every time I start up the computer. What can I do to fix this?
---
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Orlando Magic - Off-Season
#2Killah PriestPosted 10/31/2013 6:45:56 PM
fix your sig

Orlando Magic 0-2
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/31/2013 6:58:52 PM(edited)
Do a clean install... Honestly not sure about that particular problem. Windows 'upgrades' are horrible unless done on a clean os. I did an upgrade but luckily I don't have too much installed and my drivers are all from well known vendors so there were no problems.

I don't know why your pc would be restarting unless there were critical errors and critical errors are usually due to bad drivers for your hardware... First thing I'd do is check windows event viewer and look at the error codes. Then I'd check out my hardware vendor sites for possible driver updates (mobo, gpu, sound card etc.)
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#4O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 6:58:31 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Do a clean install... Honestly not sure about that particular problem. Windows 'upgrades' are horrible unless done on a clean os. I did an upgrade but luckily I don't have too much installed and my drivers are all from well known vendors so there were no problems.

I don't know why your pc would be restarting unless there were critical errors and critical errors are usually due to bad drivers for your hardware... First thing I'd do is check windows event viewer and look at the error codes. Then I'd check out my vendors sites for possible driver updates (mobo, gpu, sound card etc.)

The keyboard won't even work anymore. It restarted right after I posted this topic and now it won't respond to anything.
---
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
#5DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/31/2013 6:59:37 PM
Definitely drivers or hardware failure.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
#6O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 7:11:36 PM
DV8ingSources posted...

It can't be hardware failure because this has only happened when we updated. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from updating.
---
#7TimePharaohPosted 10/31/2013 7:12:32 PM
O_Town_Rulez posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

It can't be hardware failure because this has only happened when we updated. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from updating.

....that's pretty terrible reasoning.

"My harddrive couldn't have died, it was working until it wasn't"
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#8DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/31/2013 7:13:30 PM
O_Town_Rulez posted...
It can't be hardware failure

Yes it can. Don't fool yourself. That said its much more likely related to drivers. Sorry you are having such a hard time but you really should never upgrade unless you are ready to deal with issues or are willing to wipe everything and start from scratch.
---
#9O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 7:22:15 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
O_Town_Rulez posted...
It can't be hardware failure

Yes it can. Don't fool yourself. That said its much more likely related to drivers. Sorry you are having such a hard time but you really should never upgrade unless you are ready to deal with issues or are willing to wipe everything and start from scratch.

Well, I know this now. How do I do a full re-install?
---
#10Black_Zero_XPosted 10/31/2013 7:38:39 PM
Slam in your retail disc for windows 8 and reformat?
---
You don't need a reason to help people.
Member of KAMOTE FORCE 5, BLACK_ZERO_X!