This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

780 vs 780TI on 1080p

#1yhmusicPosted 10/31/2013 7:56:49 PM
How many years do you think either card will still play new games at high/max 1080p without SLI? Similar amount of time between the two? Or is next gen too hard to predict?
---
i produce/sing/write-
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL79C8AA8CD62A06C4
#2ThePCElitistPosted 10/31/2013 8:01:03 PM
Max in single gpu? 1 year
In SLI? 2-3 years
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#3ShebeskiiPosted 10/31/2013 8:04:27 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
In SLI? 2-3 years

I think this makes it seem like the card won't stay strong for long. It'll be pushing out higher than PS4 graphics for its life, but if developers decide to push the PC version of titles with insane effects, it will stop maxing things out. Doesn't mean they still won't look utterly phenomenal.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#4DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/31/2013 8:04:34 PM
I would say 2 years for Ti, and not much less for 780. If 780 stops doing it, Ti likely will very, very shortly thereafter.
Of course, it's possible that AMD's "gaming evolved" campaign continues to grow, and they continue to push supersampling/downsampling as a way of artificially increasing GPU demand, like they did with Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs. If that's the case, it may be quite a bit shorter.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#5ShebeskiiPosted 10/31/2013 8:06:09 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
I would say 2 years for Ti, and not much less for 780. If 780 stops doing it, Ti likely will very, very shortly thereafter.
Of course, it's possible that AMD's "gaming evolved" campaign continues to grow, and they continue to push supersampling/downsampling as a way of artificially increasing GPU demand, like they did with Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs. If that's the case, it may be quite a bit shorter.

Is this a trend in AMD gaming evolved titles? Just offering SSAA?
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#6kobalobasileusPosted 10/31/2013 8:08:37 PM
Shebeskii posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
In SLI? 2-3 years

I think this makes it seem like the card won't stay strong for long. It'll be pushing out higher than PS4 graphics for its life, but if developers decide to push the PC version of titles with insane effects, it will stop maxing things out. Doesn't mean they still won't look utterly phenomenal.

That costs money, and most developers already have out-of-control budgets just getting console graphics out the door. I don't foresee any multiplatform games going for drastically improved graphics on PC in the 8th Gen. If your video card is potent enough to do PS4/XBONE graphics now, it will last until the 9th Gen.
#7yhmusic(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 8:10:34 PM
Shebeskii posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
In SLI? 2-3 years

Hmm thanks. Interesting. I'm debating the two cards. So both will also run games on medium for 3/4/5 years you think? Is it worth it waiting for next gen games to start coming out so AMD/Nvidia can optimize?
---
i produce/sing/write-
#8ShebeskiiPosted 10/31/2013 8:13:11 PM
yhmusic posted...
Shebeskii posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
In SLI? 2-3 years

Hmm thanks. Interesting. I'm debating the two cards. So both will also run games on medium for 3/4/5 years you think? Is it worth it waiting for next gen games to start coming out so AMD/Nvidia can optimize?

It'll run games above console graphics for the life of the consoles. The 780, and especially 780TI are so much more powerful than the PS4 that there's no optimization that'll bridge the gap. It's impossible.
---
#9yhmusic(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 8:20:34 PM
Shebeskii posted...
yhmusic posted...
Shebeskii posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
In SLI? 2-3 years

It'll run games above console graphics for the life of the consoles. The 780, and especially 780TI are so much more powerful than the PS4 that there's no optimization that'll bridge the gap. It's impossible.

Alright sweet thanks, so I should probably just go for a 780 if on 1080p? 780TI seems kinda overkill for me but what do i know.
---
i produce/sing/write-
#10ShebeskiiPosted 10/31/2013 8:22:30 PM
yhmusic posted...
Shebeskii posted...
yhmusic posted...
Shebeskii posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
In SLI? 2-3 years

Alright sweet thanks, so I should probably just go for a 780 if on 1080p? 780TI seems kinda overkill for me but what do i know.

Maybe the 780 GHz is as far as I'd go at 1080p unless you feel like cranking the AA on everything.

780 is pretty awesome a 1080p, especially with a light overclock.
---