This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why can't PCs properly emulate 10+ year old games?

#11jZangetsu21Posted 11/1/2013 1:38:19 AM
At least ePSXe runs pretty much any game you throw at it and Project 64 has gotten better over the years.

PS2 emulation though....wow. I've seen super clocked i7's having issues with certain games. Primal is unplayable no matter what pc you have, and don't get me started on Zone of Enders 2.

At least we've come to a point now where PSone games can be emulated on cellphones ^^
#12DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/1/2013 2:11:20 AM
Emulation of a complicated electronic system is not simple. That's all there is to it.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#13YukitoRamboPosted 11/1/2013 2:52:25 AM
Define 'proper'.

I replayed Tales of The Abyss on PCSX2 a while back. If it didn't run at 'full speed', then I must have not noticed it because I felt right at home. Keep in mind that my rig is powered by a mere q9400, which is ancient for today's standards.
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#14akuma634Posted 11/1/2013 3:31:30 AM
3D games are always going to have graphical issues being emulated. It's easy to emulate anything from NES to Neo Geo but when you're doing consoles based around 3D hardware then it's not easy. It's like you can emulate SSB Brawl but there are always going to be graphics bugs like the win screen that shows your score will always be a mess. In the future we might be able to see more complected stuff like being able to run most Wii games in 1080p with a steady frame rate but right now there are some games that are going to be nearly unplayable because emulation isn't perfect. With N64, most games will run near perfect, it's just that they're being emulated so they will have more bugs then running it off the original console or on the Wii Virtual Console.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#15TimePharaohPosted 11/1/2013 3:32:43 AM
PC=FINISHED
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#16KidIcarootsPosted 11/1/2013 4:03:27 AM
Most emulator are amateur made software, without funding or supervision. So it's not representative of the current state of PC gaming at all. In particular, N64 is so hard to emulate, the official emulated games on the Wii Virtual Console are glitchy as hell too.

Sega is probably the company that has released more officially emulated games on PC (Genesis Collection, Nights Into Dreams (Saturn game), Dreamcast Collection) and they all work great.

Also, the Gamecube emulator Dolphin denies everything TC has said about emulation. It runs games perfectly on almost any decent machine.
#17MarceloSampaioPosted 11/1/2013 4:05:18 AM(edited)
akuma634 posted...
3D games are always going to have graphical issues being emulated.

Actually, PS1 emulation is almost perfect. 99,99% of the 3D PS1 games runs perfect on EPSXE, without any graphical glitches, and there's also PSXFIN (actually, the name is pSX Emulator, but its a ridiculous name), which takes care of the rest 0,01%.

Oh, and the Dreamcast is almost perfectly emulated too. The newer version of NullDC plays almost every game at full speed, and even a 3 years old PC can run games like Shenmue and Soul Calibur at 100% speed.

NDS emulation is almost perfect too. Using the newer version of DESMUME (and the right configurations), all games I tried worked perfectly, even the 3D ones, and at 100% speed.

Sega Saturn emulation is near perfect in SSF. In fact, all my games run exactly like the console.

PS2 emulation is going places. Most games run well, but you need a FAST CPU (most games requires a i7), but the emulation is getting better and better with each version of the emulator.

As for the Wii and Gamecube, their emulation is actually better than the PS2. Most Wii games will run quite well (but you need a i5 or a i7), and without many glitches. Dolphin emulator is getting new SVN version EVERY DAY, and they are getting better and better. Gamecube emulation is even better, since most games will run well on a i3. :)
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#18kingoffpsPosted 11/1/2013 4:37:40 AM
I recall reading many many seasons ago that N64 games are effectively emulated on a "per-game" basis. As in, the console's hardware is not the priority for emulation, and rather it's based around doing very specific things (i.e. hacks and shortcuts) to get each particular game working.

With that in mind, it's easy to see why obscure N64 games are not emulated well. Hardly anyone wants to play them.
---
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz (single-thread mode), MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950 (1100/1450), 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
#19MarceloSampaioPosted 11/1/2013 4:49:51 AM(edited)
kingoffps posted...
I recall reading many many seasons ago that N64 games are effectively emulated on a "per-game" basis. As in, the console's hardware is not the priority for emulation, and rather it's based around doing very specific things (i.e. hacks and shortcuts) to get each particular game working.

With that in mind, it's easy to see why obscure N64 games are not emulated well. Hardly anyone wants to play them.

Thats true. The N64 emulators are HLE, which makes the emulations lighter and more perfect PER GAME, but also means many issues have to be fixed by specific hacks, like you said...

MESS emulator is LLE though, but even on a i7, its impossible to get full speed on Mario 64.

---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#20LordSeiferPosted 11/1/2013 5:12:27 AM
there are still some super nintendo games that arent emulated properly for whatever reason

top gear 3000 comes to mind. something to do with how they wrote the game
---
^ this