This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why can't PCs properly emulate 10+ year old games?

#41Rigby_Raccoon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 7:33:42 PM
Interesting and informative answers. I was wondering though, how long until we start seeing 360 or PS3 emulation?

JKatarn posted...
When you consider that the (supposedly) most accurate SNES emulator BSNES pretty much requires a 3.2 Ghz Quad Core to run at a decent clip, it's not surprising that some N64 titles aren't currently playable.

Isn't a 3.2Ghz quadcore a low-midrange chip for PC gaming?
---
http://i.imgur.com/SrNgux6.png
#42ElementalWindPosted 11/1/2013 7:47:22 PM
the design of cpu chips should not be protected by intellectual property laws (i'm looking at you Intel).
Removing special legal protections for trade secrets won't suddenly make companies stop keeping ideas as trade secrets and definitely won't make schematics for everything available to the public (also removing the possibility of patent protection means companies will be much more inclined to keep their design innovations as trade secrets).
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
#43Devil_wings00Posted 11/1/2013 7:58:46 PM
Depends on the console you are emulating. PS1/PS2 have basically perfect emulation that's superior to the original console experience 80% of the time. Heck gamecube and wii also have near perfect emulation and that happened when the Wii was still nintendo's prime console.

Sometimes console hardware is just so bloody weirdly designed nothing can be done to emulate them perfectly. Still last time I checked no console can emulate anything besides PS classics that play worse then they would using a PC emulator so who the f*** are you to complain troll?
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
#44ForeverZero2Posted 11/1/2013 8:22:53 PM
i dunno about psx emulation being 99% percent accurate, there are plenty of inaccurate and missing sounds and visual effects in various games
but even that being the case there are a lot of graphical enhancements that makes the games look a lot better than in a real psx

recently i started to play using upscaling filters like hq2x/hq3x/hq4x, they give a smooth blurred edge to the visuals that reminds me of oil paint, instead of the natural pixelated look it makes 2d games looks more cartoonish, its odd for some games but titles Sonic Advance series really look good
#45The cranky hermitPosted 11/1/2013 8:59:38 PM
Removing special legal protections for trade secrets won't suddenly make companies stop keeping ideas as trade secrets and definitely won't make schematics for everything available to the public

Case in point, Coca Cola.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#46lionheart5656Posted 11/2/2013 12:25:01 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
That is why copyright should be either abolished or reduced back to it's original term to 14 years (I think 10 years would be more appropriate). That way there would be an incentive for manufacturers to release the documentations of their hardware.

This is a perfect consistency with the trend of anti-copyright crusaders being absolutely clueless about copyright. How in the hell would diminishing copyright be an incentive to release the documents?

And look at the state of the industry today. SNES, N64, PSX, and even PS2 should be 100% playable in most electronic devices (ipad, smart phones, etc), but nope in order to play those games you have to buy it on the original system (which is ridiculous) or play on emulator which in many cases will not emulate the game 100% perfectly.

Games intended for one platform won't work on another without emulating? GASP! YOU DON'T SAY!

The documents would be in the public realm. This means people could release it without worries or permission and ones that have been released can be used without worries as well.

For example, Dolphin developers are quite aware about the Broadway GPU documents being leaked but won't use them due to copyright. Their emulator would be several times better with use of those documents but they legally can't due to copyright.

This is more a perfect example of you not knowing what you are talking about but insulting someone else based on nothing anyway.

Fun fact: Copyright lasts the life of the creator + 70 years. I don't care why you want copyright to be reformed but there is no way that is objectively reasonable. It's a control mechanism plain and simple that does nothing but hinder progress.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#47DiehardFFv2Posted 11/2/2013 12:27:18 PM
Bigj089 posted...
Because someone touches themselves at night. As soon as you find out who the hooligan is and stop them, they will finally start working properly.

I touch myself at night, and in the afternoon, sometimes even the morning. Any time it strikes my fancy, really.
---
Intel i5 3570k | Sapphire r9 280x | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
#48EpicKingdom_Posted 11/2/2013 2:29:39 PM
Because N64>PC.
---
The PC gaming Master Race will never die out. We will continue to train, raise, and breed Master Race.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#49Rigby_Raccoon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 4:33:34 PM
lionheart5656 posted...
For example, Dolphin developers are quite aware about the Broadway GPU documents being leaked but won't use them due to copyright. Their emulator would be several times better with use of those documents but they legally can't due to copyright.

Fun fact: Copyright lasts the life of the creator + 70 years. I don't care why you want copyright to be reformed but there is no way that is objectively reasonable. It's a control mechanism plain and simple that does nothing but hinder progress.

that's completely ridiculous
---
http://i.imgur.com/SrNgux6.png
#50thebladeofwoePosted 11/2/2013 4:43:25 PM
I would love to play ff12 again (or ffX) but I have no idea how to use emulators.. orwhere to get them.. other than torrents... (which is a shame really)

Any pointers Gfaqers.
---
A10 ('@2.3) HD 7600G & HD 7670M 8gb ram W8.
Fc 3969-4396-9870