This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Clockwork Empires: New Dwarf Fortress like game by Dungeons of Dredmor creators.

#1SinfullyvannilaPosted 11/1/2013 6:45:40 AM
80/80

http://www.tigsource.com/2013/10/30/teaser-clockwork-empires/

Honestly I like, don't love Dungeons of Dredmor, but these guys do have actual pre-existing commercial game development experience, unlike Toady(no disrespect meant) and the creators of Towns and Gnomoria.

Looks reasonably promising.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#2ShadowThaReaperPosted 11/1/2013 7:25:45 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Honestly I like, don't love Dungeons of Dredmor, but these guys do have actual pre-existing commercial game development experience, unlike Toady(no disrespect meant) and the creators of Towns and Gnomoria.

What does that matter? Dwarf Fortress is still the deepest, and most supported game out of all of them. This new game won't be any different.

It might be good, but it won't match DF.
#3Sinfullyvannila(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 8:48:51 AM(edited)
Dwarf Fortress may be deeper(I don't see why it should be assumed that it will be, since its development speed is limited by having only 1 programmer and a ****-ton of legacy issues), but I doubt it will ever have a halfway decent interface or less than several hundred major bugs.

Plus Dungeons of Dredmor has had excellent support so far, both by its developers and by its fanbase. That's one of the benefits of the experience I pointed out...
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#4ShadowThaReaperPosted 11/1/2013 8:59:49 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
I doubt it will ever have a halfway decent interface or less than several hundred major bugs.

User interface overhaul will probably come after all the content is done.
#5Sinfullyvannila(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 9:05:32 AM(edited)
Which will probably be a decade from now. IIRC, Toady estimated that he wouldn't "finish" the game until 2020, and I think that's an aggressive estimate.

I don't see any reason that a DF fan shouldn't be excited for the genre to gain traction.
---
#6ShadowThaReaperPosted 11/1/2013 9:05:12 AM
Because so far, they're terrible games with no depth.
#7Sinfullyvannila(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 9:06:22 AM
Double standard.

None of them are finished.
---
#8ShadowThaReaperPosted 11/1/2013 9:09:07 AM
My standards aren't that double. DF is free and has unparalleled depth.
#9Sinfullyvannila(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 9:18:18 AM(edited)
The double standard is that you excuse one game that isn't finished and not others.
---
#10wizardmonPosted 11/1/2013 9:21:13 AM
I don't understand what you guys are talking about with double standards at all, but I do agree that none of them are finished.

Despite that, it's still true that one of them is leagues better than the others, has more fans than the others, makes more money than the others despite being free...

I don't think any game released from now till 2020 will come close to the depth and scale of the current build of Dwarf Fortress.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)