This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

should I avoid windows 8 on my new laptop ?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. should I avoid windows 8 on my new laptop ?
3 years ago#1
getting a new laptop...Im a big fan of Windows 7 ...but it would be easier to find a lapotop in the stores around here that runs on 8. ... Does windos 8 have a lot of bugs? Ive heard a lot of bad things but now I know 8.1 at least added a desktop.

Is it worth ordering online so I can get a windows 7 or should I just go ahead and buy laptop locally with 8 ?
3 years ago#2
There is nothing wrong with Windows 8.
http://i.imgur.com/sUtdyzN.png - Popularity =/= Quality.
http://i.imgur.com/0Awd55E.png - Opinions =/= Truth.
3 years ago#3
Personally I've not experienced any issues with 8 or 8.1. However I would look around the web as I'm certain other people probably have.
3 years ago#4
heres a laptop Im looking at ...

anyone think this is an ok deal and laptop ?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aspire-m5-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-6gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/1755183.p?id=1219063240784&skuId=1755183&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=7
3 years ago#5
Keybored123 posted...
heres a laptop Im looking at ...

anyone think this is an ok deal and laptop ?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aspire-m5-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-6gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/1755183.p?id=1219063240784&skuId=1755183&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=7

It's fine for web browsing and watching videos. Doesn't have a graphics card so you won't be doing any gaming on it, It also only has a 1366x768 resolution. So it won't do 1080p video.
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
3 years ago#6
Keybored123 posted...
I know 8.1 at least added a desktop.

Windows 8 has always had a desktop.

Anyway, if it's easier to get a Windows 8 laptop locally, just go that route. Nothing wrong with it. If you really insist on a Windows 7 laptop and don't want to mess with installing it on a laptop you get locally, just get one with it pre-installed from an online retailer. That's a fine solution as well. Just get whatever is easier for you in the end.
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
3 years ago#7
Windows 8 is pefectly stable, but the metro interface sucks. You can just install a program called classic shell though and that'll let you bypass metro all together. Works fine for me.
Some say that his voice can only be heard by cats, and that he has two sets of knees... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
3 years ago#8
Yeah if you do get Windows 8 just install ClassicShell. After that you can avoid the terrible Metro interface 99% of the time and stay on the desktop. The desktop+ClassicShell is basically the same as Windows 7.
3 years ago#9
Windows 8.1 allows you to boot to desktop without any Start Menu replacement program. Personally, I never used the start menu much in Win 7; I preferred the taskbar for pinning common apps. The Start Screen in Windows 8 is basically a glorified, fullscreen taskbar (one-click launch and search-enabled). Even though most of my programs flip to the desktop, I've been using Win 8 long enough where using a friend's computer with Start8 (or Classic Shell, I don't recall) is actually more inconvenient to me. The OS is pretty stable though, so however you use it, I wouldn't be too scared. Heck, I'm posting during downtime at a LAN party and I'm running StarCraft (yes, the original) without any trouble.
3 years ago#10
Windows 8.1 is better than Windows 7. It's not a lot better but it is a bit more refined.
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. should I avoid windows 8 on my new laptop ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived