This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Creating a (relatively) cheap rig for Battlefield 4?

#1Game_PakPosted 11/1/2013 10:16:24 AM
Okay, so I'm looking to upgrade my 3-4 year old PC so that I can play BF4 at decent settings (high). I'm looking to spend around $400, and I really only need a CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and Graphics card.

The reason I'm asking here is because I've had really great luck with the components I've bought from recommendations on GFAQs in the past, and I know you guys usually have an eye for great deals.

I was reading this article from Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/09/16/build-a-powerful-battlefield-4-gaming-pc-for-less-than-750-ssd-and-windows-8-included/

Some of those components seem pretty good, but I was hoping to switch to an NVIDIA GPU this time around. I've had ATI cards for about a decade now, and they're good, but there always seems to be one or two things they can't do, or have a conflict with, that NVIDIA doesn't.

Oh, and I'd prefer to buy from Amazon or Newegg, but am open to other outlets.

Thanks for your help.
#2urtvPosted 11/1/2013 10:19:57 AM
dont think that cpu will work well in multiplayer maps
#3XialohPosted 11/1/2013 10:25:39 AM
I honestly think I kind of need to upgrade my 1GB 560 TI before I bother trying BF4 myself. My other relevant specs (i5-2500k, 8gb ram) should be sufficient.

That little guide's cards are tempting, but I really like Nvidia >_>. The choices...
---
"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
#4_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/1/2013 10:46:19 AM(edited)
I do not see why he spends money on things like a modular PSU, more expensive than necessary case, and SSD. Don't get me wrong, spending money on these things can certainly be worthwhile, but not on this budget and not at the expense of the CPU. Take the money you save on these three items and put them towards a better processor and you would be much happier. Leaving out the SSD and going for other, (yet still decent) options for case and PSU, you could almost save enough to go for something like an i5 4670k instead.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#5MasterDonGeroPosted 11/1/2013 11:05:31 AM
I mean, if you're fine with ~medium settings.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#6Game_Pak(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 11:57:54 AM
Okay, let's forget I mentioned the article. Obviously, the two items I'm going to be spending the most on is the CPU and GPU. I'm more concerned with the CPU right now, since that's what is bottlenecking my current system.

What is the best bang-for-your-buck CPU on the market? And what's a good motherboard that will get the job done?

I'm looking for a single GPU setup as well.
#7Game_Pak(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 12:51:32 PM
Oh, and I'm not really interested in overclocking either. Don't really want to get into liquid cooling and all that.
#8AbsolutelyAlexPosted 11/1/2013 12:53:15 PM
The best bang for your buck CPU is one that can be overclocked.

Or did you mean you don't want to overclock your GPU?
#9Game_Pak(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 1:17:29 PM
Well, I'd rather not overclock anything, mainly because I just don't have the experience or expertise to do it right. Also, like I said, I'd rather not buy liquid cooling. The case I just bought has 3 fans, with room for 5 altogether.
#10urtvPosted 11/1/2013 2:05:45 PM
you dont need liquid to overclock.air coolers are more than good enough