This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the PS4 a threat to PC gaming since it's basically a high-end PC for $400?

#1WiNGSPANTTPosted 11/1/2013 4:55:10 PM
I mean, it's pretty hard to compete with that. Could this have a negative affect on the sale of expensive PC hardware? I know some people just prefer mouse and keyboard over a controller and playing online on PC is free compared to $50/year for PS+, but is that really worth paying $1000-1500 more when you can get an equivalent machine for $400? What do you guys think?
#2TheMoonJumperPosted 11/1/2013 4:56:35 PM
A high-end PC?

Not even close.
#3SmakkyofacePosted 11/1/2013 4:57:10 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4BogePosted 11/1/2013 4:57:30 PM
This happens every generation. The new consoles come out. They impress at their price range. PCs continue to evolve and still provide the better experience.

This new generation won't cause any hitches in PC gaming.

I'm actually less impressed with this next generation compared to PC gaming than I have been in the past.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#5DiehardFFv2Posted 11/1/2013 4:57:52 PM
WiNGSPANTT posted...
I mean, it's pretty hard to compete with that. Could this have a negative affect on the sale of expensive PC hardware? I know some people just prefer mouse and keyboard over a controller and playing online on PC is free compared to $50/year for PS+, but is that really worth paying $1000-1500 more when you can get an equivalent machine for $400? What do you guys think?

Your math is wrong. I was about to assume that this is some troll account, but it's old enough that this might be legitimate WiNGSPANTT. If that is the case, I am disappointed. I would have expected better from you.
---
Intel i5 3570k | Sapphire r9 280x | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
#6KabtheMentatPosted 11/1/2013 4:58:30 PM
High end?

Ahahaha.

And no. With the new consoles being able to do better than barely HD, PC games are going to at least look a lot better on average.

As for how they play? Who knows. That's always subjective. But because the controllers for the new consoles are exactly the same layout as the previous gens', I think we'll get mostly similar gameplay. Which isn't a bad thing. Wii and WiiU have different controllers, but who the **** wants that.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#7DiehardFFv2Posted 11/1/2013 5:02:17 PM
At most it would take a 1000 dollar computer to match the performance of this coming generation of consoles. That 600 dollar premium will more than be erased in terms of sale prices within the first year, not to mention how much more useful a computer is in general compared to a console. Long story short, the reasons as to why a PC is an overall better experience are the exact same. The reason consoles remain the prevalent choice is because they seem easier and cheaper to the mindless masses that are incapable of critical thought.
---
Intel i5 3570k | Sapphire r9 280x | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
#8KabtheMentatPosted 11/1/2013 5:06:11 PM(edited)
$1000 PC would beat the performance as a new console I believe. Because despite the hopes and dreams of a lot of people...it seems devs would rather make games that look really good in 1080p screen shots on consoles vs. games that perform well and are smooth to play.

People, especially developers, often overlook this when considering the success of the CoD franchise. The games run at 60FPS on consoles. You can make your CoD clone that looks much better, but plays at barely 30FPS...it's going to be a goddamn wreck.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#9MarceloSampaioPosted 11/1/2013 5:06:23 PM
Smakkyoface posted...
I really like the Spice Girls. I was Posh Spice for halloween yesterday. What was everyones costumes?

I always liked Sporty Spice. We don't have halloween in here, but if we did, I would go as Sporty Spice.

(Something a bit hard to do, since I'm a hairy fat guy...).

Mel C is HOOOT! :3
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#10JKatarnPosted 11/1/2013 5:08:43 PM
The PS4 is not high-end just because it has 8GB of GDDR5 - the CPU is a variant of a low-power mobile chipset running at a low clockrate, and the GPU is likely mid PC tier at best, hardly high-end. It's probably 6-8x faster than the PS3 at least (which wouldn't be terribly hard to accomplish given how relatively ancient the hardware in the PS3 is), but it's hardly equivalent to a high-end PC (unless you know absolutely nothing about technology).
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES