This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thank God for digital (Steam) gaming.

#11steveboblarryPosted 11/2/2013 7:42:18 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
The Diary of Anne Frank, Part 2: The Sequel

LOL,
---
What Miley Cyrus did was not twerking, it was windshield wiping
#12The cranky hermitPosted 11/2/2013 7:58:31 AM
You should try OpenXCom. It's basically XCom remade as an open-source program and fixes all the slowdown and such necessary to keep the game running at proper speeds, also fixing a bunch of bugs.

Never heard of this particular one before. Is it actually a suitable replacement for the DOSBox version on Steam? "Clones" like this pop up all the time, but damn few actually reach stable releases, let alone fully replicate the original. A lot of the time what happens is that some amateur programmer figures out how to decode the graphics format, then builds an engine that renders the graphics with the intention of replicating the entire game... and then only later finds out that recreating the graphics engine is the easy part.

Even with very mature clones like Exult, the internal mechanics are just the devs guessing how the game is supposed to work, and combat doesn't feel quite right. And with X-Com, the internal mechanics are everything.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#13Eclypse9810Posted 11/2/2013 8:54:37 AM
lionheart5656 posted...
That makes no sense.

You know that Steam does not give a guarantee that old games will actually work right?

I bought the X-Com franchise and when they wouldn't quite work right, Valve essentially told me to go **** myself and complain to the developer who then told me to talk to Valve.

If you want to make sure your stuff works, you'll buy it from GOG. They make sure it works on modern machines.

Should have bought Xenonauts :(
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#14lionheart5656Posted 11/2/2013 10:47:59 AM
Eclypse9810 posted...
lionheart5656 posted...
That makes no sense.

You know that Steam does not give a guarantee that old games will actually work right?

I bought the X-Com franchise and when they wouldn't quite work right, Valve essentially told me to go **** myself and complain to the developer who then told me to talk to Valve.

If you want to make sure your stuff works, you'll buy it from GOG. They make sure it works on modern machines.

Should have bought Xenonauts :(

I backed that on kickstarter. Waiting for it's forever release.

I might have lost interest though because I bought XCOM: EU and that was pretty good imo. Missing some stuff but good overall.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#15EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 12:25:02 PM(edited)
lionheart5656 posted...
That makes no sense.

Right but not once have I had to troubleshoot games (yet) for startup fixes after downloading. Every single one of these disc based games needed some sort of lookup fix. I think Valve realizes they should have their games working "out of the box"..

---
The PC gaming Master Race will never die out. We will continue to train, raise, and breed Master Race.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#16TrueFinalePosted 11/2/2013 12:55:14 PM
Am I the only on who thinks that Steam could make their user interface much more better? Their cheap games are great but...
---
My playmate #1 of 2: Stormena, multitasking skill P55 4GB RAM, Beauty HIS Radeon 7870 IceQ 2GB, Fitness Corsair 800W. Physique CM Storm Scout.
GT: XTrueFinale
#17EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 1:13:28 PM
TrueFinale posted...
Am I the only on who thinks that Steam could make their user interface much more better? Their cheap games are great but...

I don't have a problem with it but be careful what you wish for, more ideas like Big Picture lurk around you. This is the age of mobile.
---
The PC gaming Master Race will never die out. We will continue to train, raise, and breed Master Race.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos