This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a 24" monitor for gaming/video.

#1PsychoticFuryPosted 11/2/2013 3:55:45 AM
I've been looking at purchasing the ASUS VG248QE, because I've heard that 144Hz refresh rate feels amazing/smooth when gaming. I'm currently using an I-INC iH282 27" and I'm debating on getting a smaller monitor with better specs, because I'm only sitting an arm length away from it, my fingers will touch the monitor when I extend my arm.

But I'm torn.. I want something with fantastic picture quality, like an IPS model.. But I've heard that I need to make a decision between gaming and picture quality..

So from what I understand..

Fast Gaming TN Panel = Bad Picture
Pretty IPS Panel = Bad Response Time/Input

Is there something in the middle that doesn't really sacrifice too much of either?
#2SuperemppuPosted 11/2/2013 4:29:50 AM
There are IPS panels that have input lag similar to a regular TN panel.
But no 120hz IPS screens that I'm aware of.

I recently got myself a Viewsonic 120hz 23.6" screen and it's awesome, the smoothness of the motion is fantastic in FPS and racing games. You'll just need a beefy PC to take full advantage of it, you'll need to play things close to the 120FPS mark to really get the benefit.
---
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.
#3BeefCastlePosted 11/2/2013 4:45:41 AM
I own the ASUS VG248QE. Its a great monitor, the 144hz refresh was honestly weird to get used too, but now when I go back and play on 60hz monitors I almost vomit.... The color isn't amazing, but it has a few scene presets that sees to work with whatever I am doing. Overall the refresh rate is worth it IMO over better colors if your computer can handle it. It also has zero input lag, and feels like my old CRT I used before this. That was the main reason I purchased this because of the next to zero input lag.
---
I climb mountains and I'm never wrong.
#4The cranky hermitPosted 11/2/2013 6:06:23 AM
IPS panels are fine, as long as you don't need 120Hz. At 60Hz, you have a frame time of just over 16ms per frame. No IPS panel currently on the market has a response time slower than that.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#5Danzorz88Posted 11/2/2013 6:12:08 AM
You might also want to consider getting an nvidia G-sync enhanced monitor early next year.
---
My PC (updated 06.15.13) : http://www.sysprofile.de/id150256
#6PsychoticFury(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 11:24:33 AM
I appreciate all the insight. :D

If I were to purchase a 120hz monitor, would I need to run in SLI or would my GTX 680 suffice?
#7SuperemppuPosted 11/2/2013 12:27:34 PM
680 would be enough, unless you want to get 120FPS on all ultra with the most demanding games. For reference, I played BF3 with my 7950 on high settings, low AA with around 100fps just fine.
---
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.
#8PsychoticFury(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 6:13:33 AM
Superemppu posted...
680 would be enough, unless you want to get 120FPS on all ultra with the most demanding games. For reference, I played BF3 with my 7950 on high settings, low AA with around 100fps just fine.

Yeah, I've been debating on whether or not to buy another 680 and go SLI, but I've never done that before.. After hearing about all the issues with SLI, certain games not supporting it, I'm just not sure if it's worth it.