This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Low quality cutscenes in many games?

#1temgunPosted 11/2/2013 6:33:32 AM
When I play DS:HR or Mortal Kombat, I can't help but to notice the awful quality of cutscenes. Yes, they are straight from the console versions with 720p and all that, but they seem even worse than that. Both my TV and monitor are 1080p, so the upscaling is the same. I don't remember them looking so bad on PS3, but on PC, the cutscenes are always a pixelated mess. What's the deal with them?
#2triple sPosted 11/2/2013 6:35:32 AM
It kind of sucks being a PC gamer when it comes to cutscenes on console ports because for the most part, the regular gameplay looks far better in a PC game while on consoles it's usually the same or a little better.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#3SpazH3dPosted 11/2/2013 6:51:40 AM
As you said yourself, your PC will render the cutscenes at higher than 720p. Also, you sit closer to a monitor than a TV.
---
- My vision is augmented
#4crawdadPosted 11/2/2013 6:56:38 AM
I know i hate that prerendered low res 30FPS crap just so that consoles get ingame cutscenes without a loss of framerate.
---
Spit in the face of life and have a good day out of sheer f****** spite!
GT:Gojirra PSN Gojirra102 steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#5KaiRyusakiPosted 11/2/2013 7:56:56 AM
It's extra weird on Psychonauts. VERY low res movie scenes
#6jelly2008Posted 11/2/2013 8:31:56 AM
Here's hoping to non-prerendered cutscenes in the coming years.
---
Intel C2D E7500 | Intel DG41RQ | CM GX550W Bronze | ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU | 4GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM | Seagate 320GB HDD | Hitachi 250GB HDD | Win Vista SP2
#7temgun(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 2:08:42 PM
So is the quality actually identical on consoles and PC? If I were to let the same cutscene play on PS3 and PC, would I notice any difference or are the cutscenes somehow more compressed on PC?
#8josiskrazyPosted 11/2/2013 3:37:07 PM
Yea I remember MK being bad and recently Battlefield 4, you'd think they have HD cutscenes but they are a blurry noise fill mess.
---
PSN: josiskrazy // STEAM: jos_eva
Hey Kojima/Konami please stop shoving MGS down our throats and give us Suikoden VI already!
#9jake-sfPosted 11/2/2013 3:42:41 PM
Pre-rendered cutscenes are garbage.

And if they start shipping those games with super high quality cutscenes that takes a ludicrous amount of space and download time (and takes from my small cap and anyone else's not in the bloody US) then I'll be whining that I'd rather have low quality pre-rendered cutscenes.

Yes, I'm saying in my opinion that its far worse to have high quality pre-rendered cutscenes, unless games start being smart enough to give you a download option of whatever you want (which they won't, they never do).

I hate pre-rendered cutscenes globally, anyway.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#10PraetorXynPosted 11/2/2013 4:42:55 PM
jake-sf posted...
Pre-rendered cutscenes are garbage.

And if they start shipping those games with super high quality cutscenes that takes a ludicrous amount of space and download time (and takes from my small cap and anyone else's not in the bloody US) then I'll be whining that I'd rather have low quality pre-rendered cutscenes.

Yes, I'm saying in my opinion that its far worse to have high quality pre-rendered cutscenes, unless games start being smart enough to give you a download option of whatever you want (which they won't, they never do).

I hate pre-rendered cutscenes globally, anyway.

I may not necessarily go this far, but I think their inclusion is stupid.

A large part of the $250 million budget for GTA V (I havne't played it, but you get the idea - huge budget games) went to pre-rendered cutscene development by some digital rendering company.

Then a huge chunk goes to celebrity voice actors if they use those.

Then a huge chunk goes to marketing.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9