This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the best version of these two cards to SLI/Crossfire:

#1overkillwfo1978Posted 11/2/2013 7:30:49 AM
GTX 780

and

280X.

To be clear, I'm considering building a new rig soon and am choosing between these two cards to SLI/Crossfire. Which would be the best buy for both cards in your opinion and why? Thx in advance for advice.... (I was considering 290X but it runs too hot, so it is out of the running...)
---
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten" -George Carlin
#2YoungAdultLinkPosted 11/2/2013 10:09:56 AM
Ones with blower coolers on them, since they vent the heat out of your case and cut down on the issue of not having enough cool air to cool your 2nd card.

Or just buy reference ones and water coolers for them.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#3steveboblarryPosted 11/2/2013 10:10:54 AM
^isn't the upkeep of water cooling difficult though
---
What Miley Cyrus did was not twerking, it was windshield wiping
#4YoungAdultLinkPosted 11/2/2013 10:13:07 AM
Not particularly. It's a pump, a reservoir, and two water blocks bolted to the cards. You just have to keep the reservoir at adequate levels.

Putting it together is harder than maintaining it, if you've never done it. Might end up with a leak.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#5steveboblarryPosted 11/2/2013 10:15:40 AM
YoungAdultLink posted...
Not particularly. It's a pump, a reservoir, and two water blocks bolted to the cards. You just have to keep the reservoir at adequate levels.

Putting it together is harder than maintaining it, if you've never done it. Might end up with a leak.

Hmm yea I have never done it , I was just wondering about SLI in general though. I want to SLI somewhere down the line maybe with two 780's or 880's
---
What Miley Cyrus did was not twerking, it was windshield wiping
#6PraetorXynPosted 11/2/2013 3:53:07 PM
Custom water loops are by far the best way to do SLI/Crossfire.

The cards don't block airflow for each other, with the coolers removed they're a hell of a lot less bulky, and most importantly they're FAR, FAR quieter.

Don't include the CPU in the loop with the cards though.

And don't have more than two cards in one loop.

As for the best to get, look at MSI, EVGA, and Gigabyte for Nvidia cards, I don't use AMD but I heard Sapphire makes the best ones.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9