This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

question about downloading Steam game from another computer

#1taco_ninja393Posted 11/2/2013 2:10:46 PM
hey guys

so I have a data limit on my internet package. We've surpassed the limit (250gigs) the last two months, so if we go over this month, we get penalized per 10 gigs or so. Btw, not really sure what's eating so much data, the biggest thing I did was download BF4. Other than that, I'm assuming Netflix from my roommates and maybe watching Dota or League streams for me...

I want to pre load Ghosts today, and was thinking of just taking my external to my brothers house and having him download it for me through his computer, transferring to my HDD, and bringing it back to my place. Will this work at all? I've never looked into this before, so I'm not sure
#2YoungAdultLinkPosted 11/2/2013 2:13:10 PM
It should. Steam doesn't always like to read games like that, though.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#3Doomsday FortePosted 11/2/2013 2:18:02 PM
I have no idea if you can backup preloads through Steam, but if you can get the copy-paste method to work, that's the only real way. The data is the same either way.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#4taco_ninja393(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 6:25:40 PM
Bump
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.12
#5CatToyPosted 11/2/2013 6:34:03 PM
Should work. Might (probably will) have to verify integrity after you move it over.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#6KaiRyusakiPosted 11/2/2013 6:36:48 PM
Should work.
When you go on your steam and try pre-loading/launching it, it'll say something like "Discovering already downloaded files" or something
#7StormKMDPosted 11/2/2013 6:38:10 PM
Might as well try it, no harm done if it doesn't work, right?
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#8ihumpmypillow89Posted 11/2/2013 7:18:54 PM
I've tried it before and it just doesn't work pre-loads are stored differently (one encrypted file) and if you copy it from the exact same location from one computer it will actually start downloading all over again.
---
http://goo.gl/pIFDj | http://goo.gl/16aDr
This is what happens when a 5 year old writes a comic - http://goo.gl/zRaAS
#9taco_ninja393(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 6:05:29 PM
ok guys, had my brother download it today. Have it on my external, went to put it into steamapps/common and it's now in between all my other CoDs. But how do I get Steam to recognize it? It still says install and and is grey...
#10OUberLordPosted 11/5/2013 9:16:20 PM
Just copying and pasting it likely won't work. You should back up the game via the Steam interface on your brother's PC, save it to the external, and then use that to restore the game to your PC.