This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about Steam and External Hard Drives.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about Steam and External Hard Drives.
2 years ago#1
Is it possible to transfer/store all of my steam games onto an external hard drive and run them on my laptop?

more detailed explanation:

my main gaming platform is my laptop (please don't bother with the whole "lol gaming laptop" deal, I'm well aware of the benefits of a desktop):

Sager NP8130
Geoforce gtx 560m
i7-2630qm @ 2.00 GHZ

since my hard drive is only 500GB, I can only have around 40-50 games installed at a time. Is it possible to free up my hard drive and install all of my games onto an external hard drive (like a 2TB portable one) and basically not have any games installed on the laptop, but if I want to play a steam game I just plug in the external hard drive and immediately start playing, then unplug it when I'm done?
Soul Silver FC: 1979 0236 8128
2 years ago#2
Soul Silver FC: 1979 0236 8128
2 years ago#3
I don't think you can do that but you can just install the games you play right now on the laptop and copy-paste from the external drive when you want to play something else so you won't have to download it.

It's not very convenient but you save a lot of time.
2 years ago#4
I don't know if you can transfer them from one drive to another, but I do know you should be able to install them on an external drive and run them from that if you choose to. Just go to Steam > Settings and click on the "Downloads" tab, then click on "Manage Steam Library Folders" and select your external drive from the drop down box.
2 years ago#5
You can install steam to the external HDD and have the games there, now some (not all) games support alternate install location. But unless you have a USB 3.0 port on that laptop the games are going to run slow as hell.
--- |
This is what happens when a 5 year old writes a comic -
2 years ago#6
I don't wanna start anything but I had a 1.5tb external and had alot of Steam games installed on it and played them and they ran perfectly fine.
No conflict can ever be resolved by causing pain to another human being. - Madonna (PSN: Dmaki650)
2 years ago#7
If it's a portable external HDD it probably doesn't have a fan, so this isn't a great idea

If it's one of the big bulky ones with a fan, then it'll be fine
Best weapon combo in tf2:
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about Steam and External Hard Drives.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived