This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Uh... is there a reason RAM cost so much now?

#11KeeperofthedarkPosted 11/2/2013 7:29:56 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
Keeperofthedark posted...
And they laughed at me when I got 16 gigs of the stuff in my build. Well, who's laughing now?!

But yeah, what the other guy said. Bit less supply, demand, all that capitalistic, free market good stuff.

There is no such thing as a free market.

You sound like a fun guy.
#12Combo MasterPosted 11/2/2013 7:37:28 PM
Should of got 32 gigs of ram last year when it was $100. If I bought a ton I would be able to sell for a good profit
---
Combo Master
#13Last Grand MageX2Posted 11/2/2013 7:43:57 PM
Since the real answer has yet to be posted, I'll go ahead and drop some truth on this topic.

There was a fire at a factory in China which industry experts believe may have produced up to 20% of all of the worlds RAM. Since RAM needs to be built in clean rooms, the factories take a long time to build or repair, which means that they can't just repurpose some other factories to get production back to the same levels easily. As such, we've seen an increase in the price of RAM.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#14KidInTheHallPosted 11/2/2013 7:47:45 PM
Obama.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#15KabtheMentatPosted 11/2/2013 8:48:44 PM
Last Grand MageX2 posted...
Since the real answer has yet to be posted, I'll go ahead and drop some truth on this topic.

There was a fire at a factory in China which industry experts believe may have produced up to 20% of all of the worlds RAM. Since RAM needs to be built in clean rooms, the factories take a long time to build or repair, which means that they can't just repurpose some other factories to get production back to the same levels easily. As such, we've seen an increase in the price of RAM.

Obviously a communist Chinese Obama conspiracy.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#16gsf4lyfePosted 11/2/2013 8:50:21 PM
There was a catastrophic fire at a production center recently:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-23/chip-prices-reach-two-year-high-after-sk-hynix-fire-in-china.html
---
Currently playing: Borderlands 2
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#17ZalteraPosted 11/2/2013 9:22:02 PM
Philip said that the prices started rising last December. The Hynix explosion didn't start this.
---
Why is it that he can hit a 3rd baseman on a frozen rope from 300 feet away, but he can't hit a 12 foot tall catcher from 60 feet 6 inches away?
-Awesomeo_4000
#18Yargitsu99zPosted 11/2/2013 9:47:41 PM
No, not "reason";

"excuse";

Just your friendly neighbourhood Denotation Nazi!
---
[Expletive deleted at request of Gamefaqs]
www.twitch.tv/shalashaska824
#19Last Grand MageX2Posted 11/2/2013 9:50:48 PM
Zaltera posted...
Philip said that the prices started rising last December. The Hynix explosion didn't start this.

The prices started rising as demand increased, and as has already been mentioned, it's not easy to bring a new RAM production facility online, the fire only made a bad situation worse.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#20jlhastingsPosted 11/3/2013 9:28:45 AM
The price of gold has gone up. Many people don't know that the connection on RAM that goes to the motherboard is gold plated.
---
Do you even know what a true gamer is?