This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best bang for buck PSU in the 600W range? 2500k + 570 system

#1ShebeskiiPosted 11/3/2013 9:48:29 AM
Looking to change out my old garbage 700W OCZ. Like all of my previous topics, I'm doing my own research, but there's always hidden gems.

I ended up picking up the Noctua NH-U14S from the other topic. Excited to install it.

There's a sale on Seasonic PSUs from Newegg.ca right now, but I want a quality unit that won't ramp up like it's about to explode playing Metro LL. It's louder than everything else in the system.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#2gastamanPosted 11/3/2013 10:19:30 AM(edited)
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg620m

Antec HCG-620M is $49.99 @ Canada Computers right now. Pretty sure it's a SeaSonic unit. 620w and semi-modular.

Edit: Just to add, an excerpt from a review on the unit

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/power-supplies/16947-antec-high-current-gamer-620m-watt-power-supply-review?showall=&start=5
Initially, I found it odd that Antec actually included a noise chart on the side of the HCG 620M box. After using it, I see that they do have some bragging rights in this area. The 135mm fan stayed inaudible in the case, even under load, for extended periods.

Not too familiar with the credibility of HiTech Legion, though, as a review site.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#3Shebeskii(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 10:23:44 AM(edited)
Nice.

I found this, though an 8.5 review at Techpowerup (when it was 99.99), they had this to say:

Also its ripple suppression, especially at +12V, is extraordinary and the exclusive use of Japanese caps along with the ball bearings fan promise increased lifespan and high reliability. At low loads/ambient the fan is quiet but if you push the PSU and the fan's speed increases, then it can be annoyingly loud.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#4ShubPosted 11/3/2013 10:43:35 AM
I think you'll find that most PSUs get noisy if you put a high load on them. For $50 Canadian, that Antec HCG-620M is a pretty good deal.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5gastamanPosted 11/3/2013 10:44:25 AM
Looks like there are some conflicting reports on the units noise levels, which might just boil down to which review sites you trust the most. However, it seems to be pretty consistently rated highly in quality and performance across the board. At $50, I think it could offer a lot of bang for your buck. It's just a matter of sorting out the loudness issue.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#6Shebeskii(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 10:48:54 AM
gastaman posted...
Looks like there are some conflicting reports on the units noise levels, which might just boil down to which review sites you trust the most. However, it seems to be pretty consistently rated highly in quality and performance across the board. At $50, I think it could offer a lot of bang for your buck. It's just a matter of sorting out the loudness issue.

Very true. I will be OCing the 2500K a LOT, and I have a moderately overclocked 570. I don't have tons of HDDs or anything else going on, so I know I'm fine, but I will be running a decent load under gaming, and I just hope this thing won't ramp up like my current 700W OCZ ModXStream. This thing is seriously a piece of ****.

Shub, is this Antec significantly better?
---
#7ShubPosted 11/3/2013 10:56:37 AM
It's a bit less wattage but it is higher quality. I can't speak on the noise issue; if you wanted something that's known to be quiet, you'd have to spend more!
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8Shebeskii(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 10:58:55 AM
Shub posted...
It's a bit less wattage but it is higher quality. I can't speak on the noise issue; if you wanted something that's known to be quiet, you'd have to spend more!

Any other recommendations?

I'm willing to spend more if the quality is assured.
---
#9ShubPosted 11/3/2013 11:18:47 AM
You could consider something with a higher wattage rating so that drawing more power puts less of a load on the PSU and doesn't make the fan run as hard, even if you don't actually need the wattage.
A Rosewilll Capstone 650-M shouldn't be bad in that department, you might also consider a Seasonic SS-660XP, or if you want something that's guaranteed to be quiet, a good fanless unit like a Rosewill SilentNight or Seasonic SS-520FL2. The Kingwin LZP-550 is also known to be pretty quiet.
---
-What is best in life?