This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just how powerful are computers in terms of hardware right now?

#1KaliestoPosted 11/3/2013 8:57:31 AM
Considering it's ever evolving year after year. What's the best you can buy right now?
---
"GameFAQs is a giant MMO text adventure." - Clarifinatious
"I've beat it twice." - TheLichLord
#2GwendalPosted 11/3/2013 9:00:39 AM
In terms of single graphics cards, Titan on the Nvidia side or R9 290x on the AMD side, I believe. For CPUs, probably the newest Intel i7.
---
Currently playing:
Grim Dawn (PC), Rayman Origins (PC)
#3Kaliesto(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 9:02:45 AM
Gwendal posted...
In terms of single graphics cards, Titan on the Nvidia side or R9 290x on the AMD side, I believe. For CPUs, probably the newest Intel i7.

Which did you prefer? Nvidia or AMD?
---
"GameFAQs is a giant MMO text adventure." - Clarifinatious
"I've beat it twice." - TheLichLord
#4GwendalPosted 11/3/2013 9:12:24 AM
Well, personally I've always used Nvidia, but to be honest I don't really know enough about all the various cards to have a fully informed opinion. Nvidia traditionally has better drivers (especially for "SLI", multi-GPU setups), lower power consumption and temperatures, but there's also a lot people who feel you're basically paying a hefty premium just for the brand without getting any particular advantage. It does have PhysX (extra physics effects in some games), but at least to me that's mostly a gimmick anyway.

Right now, I think there's a general view that AMD is better than it's been in the past, and their cards are probably better value for money than Nvidia's in many cases. They're also coming out with "Mantle" in the near future, which basically means a huge performance advantage for AMD cards in games that support it. At least in theory.
---
Currently playing:
Grim Dawn (PC), Rayman Origins (PC)
#5AcquirePosted 11/3/2013 11:32:25 AM
I prefer nvidia because of physx. Not that many games use it, but it's awesome when they do.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#6PanopictonguyPosted 11/3/2013 11:55:17 AM
Quad 12GB GTX 780's
i7-4960x
32GB RAM
Dual modular PSU's

Everything water cooled and oc'd

3x Sharp 4k monitor's
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.