This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think we'll start getting "same-day" releases (with consoles)?

#1gadragodPosted 11/3/2013 1:08:11 PM
Now that we're heading into a new generation, one that closely resembles a (mid-range) PC, do you think we'll start getting releases "across-the-board" for new games? To clarify, take Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag for example. Console gamers got it last week, but PC gamers still have two weeks to go. While UbiSoft is notorious for doing this for their PC releases (for Assassin's Creed anyway), "not-if-but-when" games, like GTA V, are bound to come to the PC, but about a half of a year later.

Is it the troubles of porting over their games or is piracy to blame? If the former, this should be somewhat resolved since the newer consoles have the PC's architecture, right? Or maybe companies start deeming PC the lead platform, giving the consoles the port. And, if it's piracy, I could have sworn that the consoles (360/PS3) saw quite a bit of piracy as well, with the PC just being the easier platform to pirate.

Thoughts?
#2urtvPosted 11/3/2013 1:12:26 PM
its so people that cant wait end up buying it twice
#3The cranky hermitPosted 11/3/2013 1:16:32 PM(edited)
Consoles don't see anywhere near the piracy rates of PC games. A quick look at any torrent site can confirm this. GTA4 PC is being leeched more heavily than GTA5 is.

As for porting, if a game is developed to be multiplatform anyway, then PC is actually the easiest platform to develop for. The easiest approach would be to develop for PC hardware but to use a console look and feel, and then port/downscale to the consoles.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#4DV8ingSourcesPosted 11/3/2013 1:14:20 PM
I think there will still be delays on pc in a lot of cases. People don't realize just how much more of a pain QA is on PC. With consoles, you can test your games technical issues and be done so much faster than the amount of testing needed for pc. There are so many more factors you need to allow for, not to mention just regular old graphics settings and other menus not found on consoles.

Consoles will always be easier to develop for because of the static hardware.

That said, I do see pc getting a lot more love in the future. I would even predict that pc will be the lead platform for most multiplatform games. PC is rising in popularity at a fairly fast pace. I know all my friends are looking at pc rather than next gen consoles this time around.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#5MangorushXIIIPosted 11/3/2013 1:16:27 PM
PC is rising in popularity

Lol..smh..
#6TimePharaohPosted 11/3/2013 1:16:42 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
Consoles don't see anywhere near the piracy rates of PC games. A quick look at any torrent site can confirm this. GTA4 PC is being leeched more heavily than GTA5 is.

10/10 quality research you should be a scientist
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#730aught6Posted 11/3/2013 1:18:15 PM
Titanfall will be a same-day release; March 11th.
---
| i7-3930K | MSI Big Bang-XPower II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | Thermaltake TP Grand 1200W | Seagate 240GB SSD | WD Black 4TB | Fractal Define XLR2 |
#8Abiz_Posted 11/3/2013 1:19:20 PM
urtv posted...
its so people that cant wait end up buying it twice

This. Which I really think ends up hurting them more then anything. They don't seem to remember that pc gamers are never ever game starved like console players. A lot of PC gamers are happy to wait for the game companies 60 dollar game to go on sale for 50-75 percent off in a year or two. I honestly think if they released their games when everyone is reviewing and console gamers are hyping it up. That they would get more sales from us.

I think it will be the same. Some will treat us as equals with the console. Some will give a week or month delay. Some will GTA us. Other will pretend we don't exist unless there game didn't sell like they planned.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#9SteamsterPosted 11/3/2013 1:41:27 PM
MangorushXIII posted...
PC is rising in popularity

Lol..smh..

What? You think global PC sales indicate anything about PC gaming's popularity? Less people overall are buying PCs, but it's not hard to believe that PC gaming has blown up over the past few years, given the sales records and companies like EA trying to get a piece of the action after years of neglecting it.