This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Time to upgrade to a SSD... I don't know where to start ($350 budget)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Time to upgrade to a SSD... I don't know where to start ($350 budget)

User Info: KunkWRX

KunkWRX
3 years ago#1
I am in the market to upgrade my current rig with a SSD hard drive. I'm getting into photography and photo editing and I am about to travel around Europe so I will be doing a lot of editing on pictures and such. With that being said I noticed today that my current rig tends to lag behind a bit and I'm guessing that is because I'm till on a standard hard drive. So its time for me to finally upgrade. I am looking for something around 256GB so I can put my OS, editing tools, and some of my primary video games I play. My limit is $350 and if that means I can get more memory then awesome. If that puts me at the range of 256GB then so be it. I wish I could wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday but I can't. What do you all suggest? I see Newegg is running some November sales now.
| HAF 922 | i7 930 - 2.8GHz | EVGA 480 GTX | 6G DDR3 1600 | P6X58D Premium | ABS Dark Berret 850W | Corsair H70 | 1TB WD Caviar Black |

User Info: WerdnAndreW

WerdnAndreW
3 years ago#2
Samsung 840 pro
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#3
I would get a pair of 250gb 840 evos with that budget. You could RAID1 them for reliability if you're doing it for professional reasons.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: KunkWRX

KunkWRX
3 years ago#4
What about the Samsung 840 Evo? I see I could get a 500GB version of that for under my budget.

As far as a RAID setup I'm going to avoid that, because I'm not a pro editor at all. It's mostly a hobby. Plus I'm not getting a SSD just for that. I'm also getting it for games such that extra GB of space is definitely needed.

Also, my motherboard supports DDR3 2000 (o.c.). Since I only have 6GB is it time for me to upgrade that as well?
| HAF 922 | i7 930 - 2.8GHz | EVGA 480 GTX | 6G DDR3 1600 | P6X58D Premium | ABS Dark Berret 850W | Corsair H70 | 1TB WD Caviar Black |
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Time to upgrade to a SSD... I don't know where to start ($350 budget)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived