This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this still a good PSU by today's standards?

#1EternalNetherPosted 11/3/2013 3:20:03 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

I built my PC 3 years ago. With new consoles coming out I figured it was time to build myself a new one. I'm attempting to cut costs in places where I can by salvaging any parts that are good enough. Assuming I use a 770 or better GPU and a high end CPU, is the PSU good enough? Or should I get something better and/or with more power?

Also, what's considered good in the CPU market these days? I have an i5 2500, and it's been extremely good to me. I'm looking for the rough equivalent of that amongst the current generation of CPUs.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0619-3902-4035 Pokemon White Friend Code:0433-9592-2992
Steam ID/PSN ID: Solirus
#2DerPancakePosted 11/3/2013 3:25:35 PM
Thats still a good PSU and thats still a good CPU.
---
EVGA
#3DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/3/2013 3:27:56 PM
What are your current specs?
Your CPU is still fantastic, and that PSU won't let you down. Provided you have 8GB of RAM, the most you should look at upgrading is the GPU, and even then, if you had something decently high end in 2010, you can probably hold onto it a while longer. Next gen consoles are pretty low-end.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#4EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 3:27:59 PM
DerPancake posted...

I'm going to upgrade my CPU, just because I don't plan to build a new PC for at least 3 or 4 years after this, so it's better to upgrade now. PSU doesn't mean much in terms of future games, so long as it can power the hardware. Besides, I'm giving most of what's left of my current rig to my roommates. They can buy themselves a power supply and I'll put it in for them. The only other parts of this PC I might keep are the dvd drives and the hard drive.
---
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/3/2013 3:28:51 PM
You really don't need to upgrade that CPU right now. Seriously. You can put it off another couple years at least.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#6EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 3:29:56 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
What are your current specs?
Your CPU is still fantastic, and that PSU won't let you down. Provided you have 8GB of RAM, the most you should look at upgrading is the GPU, and even then, if you had something decently high end in 2010, you can probably hold onto it a while longer. Next gen consoles are pretty low-end.

Intel i5 2500 (not the K)
Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard
4GB G.Skills Ripjaw RAM
Nvidia GTX 460 (this is definitely not cutting it anymore
Seasonic X 650w PSU (linked above)
1TB HDD (definitely need more)
64GB SSD (also definitely need more)
NZXT Phantom (the entire top panel where the headphone jack and such is has shorted out. Needs replaced)
---
#7lionheart5656Posted 11/3/2013 3:36:16 PM
EternalNether posted...
DerPancake posted...

I'm going to upgrade my CPU, just because I don't plan to build a new PC for at least 3 or 4 years after this, so it's better to upgrade now. PSU doesn't mean much in terms of future games, so long as it can power the hardware. Besides, I'm giving most of what's left of my current rig to my roommates. They can buy themselves a power supply and I'll put it in for them. The only other parts of this PC I might keep are the dvd drives and the hard drive.

You're going to gimp yourself and make unnecessary costs by replacing your CPU right now just because you're too lazy to take 10 min somewhere down the road.

Why do you even have a gaming PC if you're that lazy?

Just go back to console peasantry.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#8EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 3:39:11 PM
lionheart5656 posted...
EternalNether posted...
DerPancake posted...

You're going to gimp yourself and make unnecessary costs by replacing your CPU right now just because you're too lazy to take 10 min somewhere down the road.

WTF are you even talking about? Get over yourself.
---
#9lionheart5656Posted 11/3/2013 3:41:12 PM
EternalNether posted...
lionheart5656 posted...
EternalNether posted...
DerPancake posted...

WTF are you even talking about? Get over yourself.

I did. I built a bridge and went right over it.

Now get under it where you belong.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#10FaycelessPosted 11/3/2013 3:42:08 PM
An i5 4670 is what you're looking for if you go ahead and ignore all the good advice people are trying to give you. It's a minor upgrade. It's slow going for desktop CPU development, all the exciting stuff is happening in mobile devices.