This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I stick with Windows 7?

#1no1oblivionfanPosted 11/3/2013 5:56:03 PM
So I'll be upgrading my PC at Christmas and I'm wondering if I should stick with Windows 7. I have heard terrible things about Windows 8 and even though I heard most of these problems were fixed with Windows 8.1 I then heard there's all sorts of game compatibility issues with it.

So is it worth updating just to be on top of technology and for performance boost in new games or should I keep it?

Also on a side note, can I just buy Windows 8 and upgrade to 8.1 for free or do I have to buy a separate disc entitled 'Windows 8.1'?

Thanks
---
Steam: An_Orang3e
GT: DanDan4000
#2steveboblarryPosted 11/3/2013 5:56:36 PM
yes
---
What Miley Cyrus did was not twerking, it was windshield wiping
#3Madmicky933Posted 11/3/2013 5:58:21 PM
Most definitely.
---
Karma... Is a powerful force..
#4ShubPosted 11/3/2013 6:01:10 PM
There's really nothing wrong with Windows 8, and most of the issues seen in Windows 8.1 are either due to drivers (not really Windows 8.1's fault although I don't understand why Microsoft had to change things so extensively that some Windows 8 drivers stopped working), and sometimes doing the upgrade in place from 8 to 8.1 causes issues.

Yes, upgrading to 8.1 is free if you already own Windows 8.

Windows 8 does offer slightly better performance in a lot of games, plus support for Direct3D 11.2.

If you already have a Windows 7 license, I don't think upgrading is worth it.

If you're buying Windows anyway, just get 8.1.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5DV8ingSourcesPosted 11/3/2013 6:05:27 PM
no1oblivionfan posted...
I then heard there's all sorts of game compatibility issues with it.

Unsubstantiated claims. Most likely just people that wouldn't be able to get the same games to work in windows 7 either.

Right now the only real bug with gaming is that 8.1 has issues with games that don't use 'raw input' from the mouse. All sorts of input lag and acceleration is the result. Luckily its a fairly easy fix with compatibility mode and really only affects a handful of games.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#6no1oblivionfan(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 6:06:47 PM(edited)
Yeah I already have a Windows 7 licence and saving that $100 is great. So it looks like I'll stick with 7; at least for the foreseeable future. I'll wait for things to be ironed out before considering it again.

Thank you all.
---
Steam: An_Orang3e
GT: DanDan4000
#7Madmicky933Posted 11/3/2013 6:07:04 PM
no1oblivionfan posted...
Yeah I already have a Windows 7 licence and saving that $100 is great. So it looks like I'll stick with 7; at least for the foreseeable future. I'll wait for things to be ironed out before considering it again.

Thank you all.

Awesome. Good deal, man. You're welcome.
---
Karma... Is a powerful force..
#8steveboblarryPosted 11/3/2013 6:10:43 PM
Madmicky933 posted...
no1oblivionfan posted...

Thank you all.

Awesome. Good deal, man. You're welcome.

+1
---
What Miley Cyrus did was not twerking, it was windshield wiping