This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Older games and laptop battery life

#1GoIrish80Posted 11/3/2013 8:03:10 PM
So let's say I have a laptop with these specs:

- Haswell CPU
- Intel 4400 HD graphics
- 8gb RAM

If I try to install games like Baldurs Gate 2, Fallout, Alpha Centauri, games like that, will that make a big difference in regards to how quick they kill the battery? I mean I understand that games kill the battery quicker no matter what and especially games that are really CPU/GPU intensive but if I play older games like that, will they run significantly longer on the battery?
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#2LaMichael_JamesPosted 11/3/2013 8:09:18 PM
less cpu and graphic intensive = less battery used

either way playing games on battery is not a good idea
---
bust rb
#3lionheart5656Posted 11/3/2013 8:11:28 PM
No one's going to do the math for you.

It will run longer. No one knows how much longer.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#4GoIrish80(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 8:12:59 PM
So another question. Clearly I'm a new laptop owner.

How much does it hurt the battery by plugging it in consistently? Like if I am sitting at the couch and I want to use it for a while and plug it in, will that degrade the quality of the battery over time? It wouldn't be plugged in for like days at a time, it would be for like a few hours tops. I just don't want to degrade the battery.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#5lionheart5656Posted 11/3/2013 8:15:14 PM
GoIrish80 posted...
So another question. Clearly I'm a new laptop owner.

How much does it hurt the battery by plugging it in consistently? Like if I am sitting at the couch and I want to use it for a while and plug it in, will that degrade the quality of the battery over time? It wouldn't be plugged in for like days at a time, it would be for like a few hours tops. I just don't want to degrade the battery.

You're going to degrade the battery no matter what you do unless you're a complete nazi.

If you want to slow it down, you have to let it drain to near dead and then fully charge it every time.

Not worth the time.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#6Incendia_IntusPosted 11/3/2013 8:15:26 PM
Just pop the battery out whenever you're going to have it plugged in at full charge for long periods.
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
#7LaMichael_JamesPosted 11/3/2013 8:19:05 PM
if the battery is constantly maintaining a charge at 100% it will reduce the life somewhat however batteries will degrade regardless if it is being charged or not. like the other poster said, the math is out there if you want to find it

there will probably be battery optimizing options on your laptop that will only charge the battery when it's falls below 80% or whatever
---
bust rb
#8DoramiPosted 11/3/2013 8:39:27 PM
With the new lithium ion batteries (the type used in electronics), shallow discharges are better than deep discharges. You don't want to drain them near dead. You want to recharge while there's more than 50% left, if possible.

As for keeping it plugged in, there's not much effect. The problem is more that it's constantly near a heat source than that it's maintaining a high charge. Even with constant plugged in, you're likely to retain most of the battery capacity for the useful life of the laptop.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#9schadowPosted 11/3/2013 8:44:41 PM
Dorami posted...
With the new lithium ion batteries (the type used in electronics

New? When did you last see a NiCd computer battery?
---
MageofBlood391 posted...
GameFAQs: Because if all else fails, you can always argue semantics.
#10ClouddxPosted 11/3/2013 9:29:36 PM
You're battery will last exactly 23.6894% longer running those games...
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 470 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S