This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games with unique music and/or weird story or just weird/unique in general?

#11ryan0991(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 11:52:06 PM
A few things I haven't heard of so far. Some of these games look pretty interesting. Thanks for the recommendations.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#12brainlackPosted 11/4/2013 12:03:41 AM
ryan0991 posted...
I'm just looking for "weird" games (still need to be good obviously). An example is something like Hotline Miami or The Stanley Parable. I'm so burned out on all this derivative bulls*** that I've been playing. I want something that'll actually stick with me once I'm done with it. Scary games could work too, I guess.

alan wake is not silent hlll vibes so don't get silent hill if you liked alan wake
alan wake is alone in the dark new nightmare just like the tv preview and previously on alone in the dark
---
playing re6 with 8x sparse grid ss with 32xs(2x2 ss + 8 ms)+ mixed sample x128 + 32 forced anisotropic then I hear ps4 is powerful than my pc
#13ryan0991(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 12:08:31 AM
brainlack posted...
ryan0991 posted...
I'm just looking for "weird" games (still need to be good obviously). An example is something like Hotline Miami or The Stanley Parable. I'm so burned out on all this derivative bulls*** that I've been playing. I want something that'll actually stick with me once I'm done with it. Scary games could work too, I guess.

alan wake is not silent hlll vibes so don't get silent hill if you liked alan wake
alan wake is alone in the dark new nightmare just like the tv preview and previously on alone in the dark

Silent Hill is easily in the top three on my favorite series list. I also really liked Alan Wake.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#14TimePharaohPosted 11/4/2013 12:11:27 AM
Indigo Prophecy

or Fahrenheit if you like steamy pixel sex
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#15MadPinoRagePosted 11/4/2013 12:14:40 AM
SpazH3d posted...
Zeno Clash 1
Rock of Ages
To The Moon
Psychonauts
Freedom Force
Botanicula
Knock-Knock
Waking Mars
Oddworld
Braid
Limbo
Evil Genius
Jet Set Radio
Machinarium
Sanitarium
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

VIDEO GAMES! Most of them have fabulous music and a story or gameplay that won't be too typical. They're also charming.

WOW. This is definitely a spectacular list.
---
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein
#16CourtofOwlsPosted 11/4/2013 12:30:28 AM
deadly premonition
Hamlet, or the last game without MMORPG features, shaders and product placement
---
Boycott Best Buy!
#17Kikoman589Posted 11/4/2013 3:07:31 AM
Psychonauts
Limbo
VVVVVV

If an RPG Maker project counts, OFF.
---
My Anime List:
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/sword123
#18chaoscontrol325Posted 11/4/2013 3:37:03 AM
MadPinoRage posted...
SpazH3d posted...
Zeno Clash 1
Rock of Ages
To The Moon
Psychonauts
Freedom Force
Botanicula
Knock-Knock
Waking Mars
Oddworld
Braid
Limbo
Evil Genius
Jet Set Radio
Machinarium
Sanitarium

VIDEO GAMES! Most of them have fabulous music and a story or gameplay that won't be too typical. They're also charming.

WOW. This is definitely a spectacular list.

That definitely is a great list, but if you REALLY want off the ****ing walls wonky and weird, you want Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut. Seriously, that game will stick with you for your whole life for reasons you don't even understand. It's so bad but at the same time so unimaginably great.
---
PSN: Lazuri65 XBL:LazuriXIII
If you don't write you're from GameFAQs and what board in the friend request, you will be denied.
#19PhilOnDezPosted 11/4/2013 5:28:32 AM
Spec Ops: The Line had good music and a decently weird story. You probably won't notice all the weird stuff the first time through though and you probably won't play through twice. Cracked has an article that points out a lot of the weird stuff that I'd recommend looking at after playing it.

Not PC games but Persona 3 and 4 are pretty unique. In 3 the world stops at midnight for something called the Dark Hour and the massive school you attend becomes a giant twisted tower called Tartarus that's taller than you can see and powerful bosses show up outside of Tartarus on full moons. Watch the opening cutscene on YouTube, it's pretty trippy. I think 3 is based on Greek mythology but I'm not 100% sure.

4 has a much slower start but its story is pretty out there as well, it's based on Japanese mythology and if there's one thing Japan is known for it's being weird. There's something called the Midnight Channel and on rainy nights if you look into an unplugged tv at midnight you'll see the face of your soulmate. The people who are shown on the Midnight Channel are found strung up dead on telephone poles and TV towers on the next foggy morning though and you have to figure out what happened, that involves going inside the TV and fighting suppressed emotions (not your own unfortunately, your character is special but everyone's 'shadow selves' are pretty entertaining).

Bonus entry: It's not a game but it's a movie available on Netflix/Amazon Prime Instant Video. John Dies at the End is just all kinds of weird. It starts off Ghost Busters-y with a freezer full of meat joining together Voltron style to attack the main characters and just gets weirder and weirder from there, ghosts are just a small part of the movie though. I'm not sure what I'd call it genre wise, I guess just campy paranormal stuff with a hint of science fiction.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#20daemon_danPosted 11/4/2013 5:37:52 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
Spec Ops: The Line had good music and a decently weird story. You probably won't notice all the weird stuff the first time through though and you probably won't play through twice. Cracked has an article that points out a lot of the weird stuff that I'd recommend looking at after playing it.

Not PC games but Persona 3 and 4 are pretty unique. In 3 the world stops at midnight for something called the Dark Hour and the massive school you attend becomes a giant twisted tower called Tartarus that's taller than you can see and powerful bosses show up outside of Tartarus on full moons. Watch the opening cutscene on YouTube, it's pretty trippy. I think 3 is based on Greek mythology but I'm not 100% sure.

4 has a much slower start but its story is pretty out there as well, it's based on Japanese mythology and if there's one thing Japan is known for it's being weird. There's something called the Midnight Channel and on rainy nights if you look into an unplugged tv at midnight you'll see the face of your soulmate. The people who are shown on the Midnight Channel are found strung up dead on telephone poles and TV towers on the next foggy morning though and you have to figure out what happened, that involves going inside the TV and fighting suppressed emotions (not your own unfortunately, your character is special but everyone's 'shadow selves' are pretty entertaining).

Bonus entry: It's not a game but it's a movie available on Netflix/Amazon Prime Instant Video. John Dies at the End is just all kinds of weird. It starts off Ghost Busters-y with a freezer full of meat joining together Voltron style to attack the main characters and just gets weirder and weirder from there, ghosts are just a small part of the movie though. I'm not sure what I'd call it genre wise, I guess just campy paranormal stuff with a hint of science fiction.

All of the SMT games are based on many different types of mythology. Just cause 3 has the name Tartarus for the dungeon where you spend at least half your play time and 4's final boss has the name of a Shinto god doesn't mean the entire game is centric to those pantheons.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride